Gaining weight b/c of Vitamin D supplement?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi! I have been diagnosed w/ severe Vitamin D deficiency; doc prescribed D3 supplement. It has been only a few days, and I already feel "bloated" and sure enough the scale is going up; I eat at a deficit (I follow strict rules of logging everything etc - MFP for those who know) and the only change to my routine is Vitamin D supplement. There are plenty of testimonies of losing weight while upping D level. Are there any people who experience the opposite effect, like me? (In addition to D deficiency I have also Gilbert's syndrome.) Any help is much appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Being bloated does not mean you are putting on weight. Bloating comes from the flora in your stomach being out of synch.

You need to address that and it is separate to the vitamin d issue.

• Posted

I don't see how it is different b/c I have never experienced sth similar prior to D supplement. Moreover, this condition ceases when I stop D intake... Perhaps the dosage for me is off; it should be adjusted, I guess.
  • Posted

which vitamin D tablet are you taking? is it calcichew? in which case that might be the calcium or the other things which cause the bloating, rather than the vitamin D. if you search online for calcichew and bloating you'll see q few people complain about that.

discuss with your doctor and maybe see about trying a different form of vitamin D. there are some non prescription forms which are just vitamin D without the calcium (unless you need the calcium).

good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much! I use liquid Vit D supplement, so there is really nothing to cause bloating. I have actually re-analyzed my nutrition. It turns out that as of the same time I started taking Vit D I have included almonds in my everyday intake. If I limit them to 10/day, I am fine! So, Vit D rules! Thanks a lot for your answer, it made me realise a few things!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.