Gaining weight but I'm lost through tiredness :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

Thanks for reading my post. I need some help from the people who know the most about fibro and chronic fatigue please. I'm 34, I was diagnosed back in January but have suffered for a long long time.

I've gained weight a whole stone since Jan. I'm only 5ft 1 and used to being a healthy size 10 for my height but despite healthy eating and low fat diets the weight keeps coming. I'm so active in reality. My job's constantly on my feet walking, I'm a single mum. But I am so low I just keep gaining sad

If i exercise I'm okay for a day or so but two days later I'll just sleep all day when the little ones are at school. I'm just so so tired. My every day chores seem never ending. Then of course my muscles seem a heavy weight and hurt so bad. I'm just so tired and achey.

Has anyone had this and how did you lose any weight through the bad times? Or just feel happy once again? I'm in no way pessimistic, I'm just interested smile

Thank you xxx

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi alexlouise. Like you I too have gained nearly a stone and a half since January, and gone from a size 10 to a 14! 

I am not able to be at work now because of my Fibro, and I can't exercise like I used to. I have started going to Aquafit as I find I can exercise relatively pain free in the water, even if I do pay for it after, the tiderness and pain are massive, but at least I have exercised! I was referred to this by CMAT.. I have only been going for about 3 weeks,, so it's early to say if it is helping weight wise.

i have also changed my medication , this may impact your weight! We eat healthy meals here as my daughter is following a strict diet, I don't often snack, chocolate is definitely a treat! 

I live in hope that I will lose some of the weight I have gained! As for being happy? Well I am learning to like myself again, and not beat myself up that I can't work, exercise and generally do the things I used to., so I am a lot happier than I was! I used to feel guilty about not being at work,sleeping in the day etc. I probably still do to some extent, but now I try and pat myself on the back when I do achieve something, and when I have paced myself properly! 

Not sure if this helps or not, but my advise is, from my own experience, celebrate all the things you can do. Maybe discuss any medication you are taking with your Dr to see if they are causing your weight gain

Gentle hugs and take care!

• Posted

Hi to both PiliPala and alexalouise; yes this was going to be my question.......the only reason may  be the medications (some NSAIDS can cause weight gain)......there are times that I feel a little bloated, but have not put on any weight now for past 6 years, but did find in the beginning that I, too, went from a 10 to a 14 in a matter of months, and found that it was a Lot of Fluid Retention, due to the meds that I had been on at the time (Ibobrufen is one in particular) and some anti-depressants.....but once meds were changed (which came from trial and error, and what worked for me), it went back to a 12, which is probably my better weight.....a 10 when working full time was a "bit scrawny for me at 5'4".......if you go through your meds, and read the side affects (even sometimes the web can help us find re weight gain/fluid retention), this ? maybe your answer????............and also, if we read other medical conditions, there are some conditions (like Hypo-thyroid), that also cause weight gain.....I know there is a lot of differing views re the connection of Hypo-thyroidism and CFS, but after reading a book that was recommended to me, I do believe that there are many of us with the "tiredness and CFS'  that maybe are  getting over-looked....even when our bloods read "in normal range"....as they are now saying "what is Normal Range?........it is variable for different people and needs to be looked at by the patient's signs and symptoms, not the blood/pathology results"................it is very enlightening reading and has opened up many others' lives............good luck and will be watching to see how you get on Alexalouise....................Bron
  • Posted

Hi alexalouise I have lived with fibro for 30 years I have never taken any meds for it as I have chrons as well... I have got through my illness  on codeine and paracetamol and riding my bike... I have done the Aqua fit and swimming and found it helped with keeping my weight down and it helped by keeping my muscles toned... If you are able to do Aqua fit at first you need to take it slow and do only what you can you will ache at first but it doesn't feel like your excercising as the water relaxes you and also you can get carried away with the music and go with the flow and then you can start to enjoy it...there were days when I felt tired and didn't want to go but I can honestly say once i got there I was so glad I went even if it was just for a swim.

I am now 58 5'5"" and 10.5 stone I was a single mother of 3 working part time so I can empathise with you it's not easy trying to juggle everything when you have a chronic illness... in the early years I was tired and in pain an awful lot and slept through the day but by keeping as active as is possible and doing things in moderation I haven't felt the need to sleep during the day for the last 20 years...it's all about pacing yourself being motivated having a good network of support is important  and finding out what works for you as everyone is different..I wish you well and hope you find what works for you soon.

gentle hugs

shirl

• Posted

Hi alexalouise I am the Same I was a healthy size 10 am now an between 12-14 an I feel real low with it. My doctor as told me it's my tablets am on but at the moment am only on co-drydamol an naproxen so am not 100% sure they are the valid the weight gain. I myself was so active but at this present moment my gym stuff is collecting dust as I have not got the energy to use it. I find house work bad enough just cleaning right through the house knocks me out for days 😢.. It's a horrible thing fibro

Hugs kirsty xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.