Gaining weight by the minute - with ME and Fibromialgia and IBS

Posted , 8 users are following.

went from a size 16 to 18 and seem to not be getting any relief from weight gain. I broke my leg and twisted my knee which had be in bed for a two month period. Then in a wheelchair which was exhausting me I nearly wept out of sheer frustration. Physio is working with me but improvement is slow. I feel as if my whole painful body is weighed down with massive stones. I have to literally will myself to walk. 

I need a diet diet that will not aggravate my ibs either. Can’t have artificial sweeteners as they give me migraine. (Lots of people experience this) any ideas would be helpful I feel like I’m turning into a blimp and I will just wake one morning and be 30 stone....just how it feels now. cry

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was able to lose 40 lbs in the past dieting alone, its tough but because we lead sedentary lives we need like 1300 calories a day to lose. Cutting out as much saturated fat will help, sugar too but I didnt take out sugar. At the time I was mostly dieting to lower my cholesterol as thats right when they noticed it was off(I now know I have thyroid disease which raises it) and had cut my sat fat intake to 7g a day. Basically pick foods that fit that that work for you. Personally I did tv dinners with lower fat and calorie count, fruit smoothies(banana, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1 cup fruit juice) and other odds and ends. 

I have a toddler now and dieting hasnt worked so Im back up again BUT dont let that deter you =P I would still be eating the same if I wasnt force fed fruit snacks, crackers, ect with her lol

• Posted

Hi Kat,

So sorry to hear you're having such an awful time of it lately. Just wondering what medication you're on as I am finding with pregabalin I have gained nearly a stone in a month. I know I am not as mobile as I was before I became ill but I too find the whole situation frustrating. You had the added problem of being laid up with a broken leg which doesn't help.

Will be interested to know what you're taking

Take care

Catherine

• Posted

Try the paleo diet. It is a healthy way of eating. Best wishes, Linda 
  • Posted

The best diet is counting calories..you can use one of the applications to help you count it daily... for example 1300-1400 calories per day ..some days you can cheat .. I used the myfitnesspal App and I lost 10 lbs.Good luck darling smile
  • Posted

Your dealing with a lot😫

Movement is essential to regain good health - a little everyday....don't give up, I know how impossible it feels at times.

Are you mindful of the fodmap foods?

Everyone is unique with food intolerences so observe your reactions/digestion when eating and hours after.

Have you tried chewing your food almost completely breaking it down before swallowing?

Not drinking at least half an hour before or after a meal to not dilute stomach acid?

The more you can break down and digest food before it reaches your intestines/colon the better chance you have of reducing symptoms and absorbing nutrients.

Good luck x

• Posted

That is NOT the case for all fibro sufferers. I should know as any form of exercise makes me worse.
  • Posted

Hey Kat,

I have this very same struggle and also have the fact that three of the meds I am on are technically SSRI's that are for anxiety/depression as well as pain management and those alone make you gain weight and any exercise I try makes things worse pain wise and I get horrible spasms. My doctor just suggested to me a diet called FODMAP that works with IBS (which i also have) I have just started trying the diet and it is difficult because it is very involved but there seems to be a lot of good reviews on the results of it. All the love and hugs to you!

• Posted

Thanks very helpful hints. I am taking it slowly nothing else I can do. Friday had a day off was going to go walking for 15 minutes but ended up power napping on and off all day! Just couldn’t move the pain was too much. Today was better got outside for an hour to enjoy the sunshine. It was nice as it’s quiet here in Saturdays. I’m going to do VLC diet for 6 weeks then gradually add in foods. No bread and keeping treats to zero. I don’t have my own kitchen where I live so cooking when I have energy isn’t always possible as it can wake people. But some of the sugggestions here are useful. Wish me luck guys we all need each other to get through rough patches. Especially when the medical field seem to think we are just crazy and the pain isn’t real! Hugs to all here. May we all become well! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.