Gait still not normal.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sprained my ankle really bad 6 months ago. After doing PT and everything my gait is still not returning to normal. Physiotherapist keeps changing the reasons for my abnormal gait. Ortho doc said they can't do anything about it. Did anyone have a similar experience? If yes then how did you went back to having a normal gait? My injured leg is slightly thinner compared to my normal leg, probably due to muscle atrophy.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi John

Sorry to hear about your problem. My problem is also one of returning my gait to normal although I had surgery back in June. With the resulting casts and then boot my ankle is now very stiff and uncomfortable to walk on.

I am having some acupuncture to see if it will help. I have also been told by my therapist that all the ligaments around my ankle and achilles tendon are quite stiff. I have been told to exercise my ankle whilst sitting and to use a stick or crutch when walking and to make sure that I am walking slowly and putting my foot through a normal gait range which is heel to toe.

I hope you soon improve.

• Posted

Yeah regaining the normal gait is pretty difficult after these ankle injuries. 😦 Even after all these months there's still a bit of stiffness in my ankle. I hope you get better too. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.