Gall bladder / liver / IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 4 weeks ago I was admitted to A&E with severe pain, epigastric and over to the right side. At first I thought it was respiratory related because the pain was also intermittently behind my right shoulder blade. The only abnormality shown was a raised liver enzyme, I was discharged home. 2 weeks later I am in tears with the pain, so I contact the GP. During the phone call she appeared to already assume its IBS, my bowel movements haven't changed, I have zero pain in my middle or lower abdomen and no concerns with anything bowel related. I am a nurse so I'm quite confident it's not IBS. My liver enzymes are raised due to an increase in alcohol during last year, which I have now become T-Total, although 4 weeks on all of my bloods are OK but my liver levels are still significantly raised. My GP has said I shouldnt be in pain with my liver as it doesn't cause pain, and has stopped all my pain medication (I was consciously not taking this unless absolutely necessary due to the raised LFTs) the gp also diagnosed IBS and was very unhelpful, basically ending the call. I believe I have gall stones, and the raised liver enzymes and my Gps assumption of IBS is almost distracting her from realising that a scan would be the best option for me. The pain is so severe at times I am unable to do anything apart from squirm to try and get comfortable, it reduces me to tears. There is no flatulence or bowel moment associated with any of this.

I want my GP to take my concerns seriously, I'm feeling so fatigued and have been in consistent pain of a moderate level today for 5 hours now. I can't go on like this much longer, I know something is wrong, but my GP just won't listen to me. I constantly feel like I could pass out because of the pain and at times I actually want to so I no longer feel it.

Has anyone else had an experience of gall stones like this or could it be my liver causing this pain, I really don't believe it's IBS.

Any help is welcome, perhaps these are common symptoms of IBS that I'm not aware of but this is unbearable and I feel so weak.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had IBS for years and that is definitely not my experience. I would say if your GP is not listening, get a second opinion. You should get a scan if that's what you feel you need. It sounds more gall bladder/liver related. As you probably know, liver enzymes can be raised with gallbladder issues, too. Do you find that fatty foods makes a difference with pain? No nausea or vomiting? Uggg...that is my biggest pet peeve with practitioners. Listen to your patients people! Especially those in the medical field! We don't typically complain about things unless there's something wrong! Keep advocating for yourself lady! No one else will!

• Posted

Hi,

I really sympathise with you, I was admitted to hospital last night due to severe pain under my rib cage and into my back, I was also crying from the pain and was also vomiting profusely. I had bloods taken and was given intravenous anti nausea meds and paracetamol, I stopped being sick but there was no relief for from the pain. eventually was given codeine which reduced the pain enough that I could go home. My blood work showed elevated markers in my liver function and an increase in white blood cells, I had been drinking which the doctor said would have explain the results but he seemed to think it was gastritis which would cause the white blood cell count.

I have been having these painful episodes since last November, I usually have nausea too with a slight bloating feeling, like I need to burp, but last night it was severe. I had already contacted my local gp last week who suspected gall stones and I am booked in for blood tests and an ultrasound, the hospital doctor didnt think it was though as gallstone pain is normally lower down and accompanied with yellowing of the eyes and dark urine, I have neither.

I noted that these painful episodes happened after eating spicy food or over indulging in general, I had stupidly eaten spicy pizza last night, but I sometimes find that eating relieves the nausea and taking Ibuprofen would ease the pain.

I absolutely agree with you that it doesnt sound like IBS, I have suffered with IBS before and its nothing like this. Have you noticed any triggers or are they just random? Can you speak to a different GP? Dont accept the diagnosis of IBS, you know your body, there are lots of things that can cause abdominal pain and your GP should be working with you to find out what that is. Have you tried any ant acid medication, I tried Nexium for a few days which helped with the mild heartburn I had but stopped as I wasnt sure it was acid causing my pain, I hate taking medication unless I have to, I have taken Ranitidine today and paracetamol and have been in bed all day just trying to get some rest, I too feel week, I think being in constant pain takes it out of you.

I hope this has helped a little, sometimes just knowing your not alone helps. Lets hope we both get this sorted x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.