Gall Bladder.....Maybe?

Posted , 16 users are following.

have been feeling bad, off and on again for quite some time.  I use the term flare up as it seems to hit pretty suddenly. (seemingly the day after eating greasy food not 100% on that) but when it "flares" it can last for a week or 2, with major bloating infrequent and small bm and discolored bm (orange to yellow tmi, I know but I think it is involved somehow) I have had constant low grade pain in my right shoulder blade for a very long time.  30 mins or so after eating I get nausea...I never vomit...just feel green.   Energy is very low, tired all the time.  I had a nissen fundoplication a year ago which fixed my reflux.  I have seen a gastro doc with this been scoped both ends all is good, blood work is good only thing at all was a low anion gap.  Kidney function is good, sonogram shows normal gall bladder, hida scan shows 87%ejection fraction.  Surgeon says biliary dyskonesia and wants to remove my gall bladder.  I am very hesitant to remove it knowing it tests ok.  I am great with removing it if it will fix me but would be pretty p*ssed off if I get it out and still have these problems, I want  to be back to my old self before this started a couple of years ago.  I am hoping someone has had similar problems or can offer some advice as my regular doctors say nothing is wrong. 

Halp....please....

1 like, 102 replies

102 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had the same problem. 6 months of normal tests, then I did a hida scan and my ejection fraction was 90! I let my surgeon remove it and it was the best decision ever. Literally the day I left the hospital I was eating whatever I wanted and feeling fine, my energy came back after about two weeks, no more nausea and pain. I'm about 9 months post op now and occasionally I do get sharp pains where my gall bladder was but my doctor said it's likely because of scar tissue or the titanium clips on my bile ducts. Hope this helps you!

• Posted

I sent you an im to find out more about your symptoms.......
  • Posted

It helps a lot, thank you. I have been 3 days with zero gluten. Ate some eggs this morning... sick as a dog 20 minutes later uuuggggggghhh!
    • Posted

Oh yea, everything I ate did that. Try just fruits and veggies. That was pretty much the only thing I could tolerate
    • Posted

Sorry to learn the eggs made you sick.  I don't know how many eggs you ate, but eggs contain choline which affects your liver.   

• Posted

Hi, the choline is found naturally--it's not added.  

• Posted

The Gastro doc put me on some pancreatic enzymes that I take before each meal.  Seems to help with the nausea.  They are recomending I get my gall bladder out as there is nothing left for it to be.  The gluten free thing did not help at all and I did not have a reaction when I added gluten back into my diet.  I guess that is ruled out.  I have an appointment with another gastro doc tomorrow for a second opinion.  If the enzymes are making me feel better it makes me wonder if it is a gb problem or something else.  The rest of the symptoms still remain....tired, dull ache on right side, discolored bm, less nausea but there is still some.  
  • Posted

New Gastro doc reviewed all of my info, labs, scans, and screens.  Shook his head and said 99% chance it is not your gall bladder, I would not have it removed if I were you.  You have IBS problems.  Wants to run two simple tests to verify I don't have a gut infection or parasites.  

• Posted

Funny part is, when I run the symptom checker on this site it comes back with IBS also.
    • Posted

I can understand that IBS is preferable to you, as you definitely don't want to remove an organ that's not diseased.  

However, IBS is more or less a "catch all" diagnosis that incorporates lots of symptoms, but doesn't identify what's going wrong with your body or its chemistry.  

I was diagnosed with "IBS" but actually had bile salt malobsorption, which my gastroenterologist never bothered to discuss with me. I was on medication for 7 years before I found out about the condition by doing research on line and, thankfully, finding this site. 

There is a blood test available in the US that can identify the condition.  It was just developed in the last few years.  

I do hope somehow that you're able to get to the bottom of this!

Best of luck and let me know how you get on!

• Posted

as I read the symptoms for BAM....it is mostly watery stool and many movements.  I have just the opposite.   I am being tested for parasites and infection....I spent a lot of time in south and central America over the last couple of years so it is definitley not ruled out
    • Posted

I hope that you and your doctor find out what's going on with you.  Then you can deal with it and move on with your life!  (I wasn't advocating that you have BAM...just wanted to use it as an example.)

Happy 2017! 

• Posted

we should know more shortly.  He has put me on medication that has a pretty good track record with IBS and the other tests should be back next week sometime.  Like I say, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was parasites or infections....I have stayed in some prettty sketchy places over the last few years.

• Posted

Please let me know what the tests reveal!  Happy 2017!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.