Gall bladder pain after gall bladder removed

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had my gall bladder removed on Wednesday.  All went well and my scars are healing nicely.  The post operative pain hasn't been too bad and has been managed by strong Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.

last night I was awoken from my sleep with severe pain in my back and upper stomach, felt sick and clammy.  These are the problems I used to get when suffering an attack before having my gall bladder removed.  No pain killers would help the pain and no heat pad helped.

Just like pre operative, the pain was agonising and I was bent over double with the pain.  The only thing that was different was it eased after about an hour.

has anybody else suffered these "attacks" following removal of their gall bladder?  What is the point of putting myself through surgery if I am still going to suffer the same pain,

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This may be pain from the gas if you only had surgery Wednesday if you had keyhole so don't fret - hope you're on the mend soon :-)

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I did have pain from the gas and it was totally different.  This pain felt just like an attack which I just don't understand

• Posted

MIchelle, unfortunatley many of us are suffering from this.  I find that placing an ice-gel bag on my ribcage is helpful, but I will also forward the email I sent to everyone else.  This should NOT be done intill you are compeltely healed!  Also,  If it is really unbearable go to ER or your doctor.

Here is what works for me two years after my GB removal.  Just remember don't do this until your scars are healed or they could break open and give you a nasty infection.

I think I can help you with the pain! I had my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy) two years ago and still have pain after eating foods high in cholesterol and hydrogenated fats and other processed foods. I try to only eat whole foods but sometimes I mess up. When I get my "phantom gallbladder pain" I can get rid of it almost instantly by lying on my stomach on the floor and placing a tennis ball below my right breast (not ON the breast but BELOW it). It will feel like it's on a rib. I gently place some of my body weight on the ball and rib and roll my body around so that the tennis ball massages the crampy area. I came up with this on my own and I know it sounds weird but it works for me instantly! My pain refers to the back and shoulder blade but after I do this massage technique it goes away completely. I also will turn over onto my back and place the tennis ball near my shoulder blade and spine and put a lot of my body weight on it and roll around so the tennis ball loosens up all those muscles. This seems to help too, but not as much as massaging front rib area with the ball. I hope you get this comment and get some instant relief! Please copy and paste this to other people suffering. NO doctor has ever been able to help me. My surgeon was NOT helpful either after he removed my gallbladder and acted like I was imagining it. Go get yourself a tennis ball. Let me know if it works for you too.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  I will certainly give that a try once everything has healed.  I thought it was going mad when it happened. I spoke to my doctor who said it is just post operative pain.  I'm sure anybody who suffers with gallbladder attacks will know, there is a big difference in the pain you get with an attack and general pain.  I'm off to buy a tennis ball.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.