Gall bladder question....

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been having bad right upper quadrant pain along with excessive sweating, gas, dizziness, indigestion and heartburn for about 6 months (constantly). After a lot of tests they discovered that my gallbladder has an EF of 31% not too abnormal but "enough to cause pain" (according to my NP) I have changed my diet the past couple of weeks (very low fat) and I havent seen much of a change.  I have an appointment to see a surgeon soon but do you think he will want to take it out? Or will my EF not be bad enough for surgery? When will surgeons reccommend surgery? Is there a cut off point with the EF rate?

Thanks in advance! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would caution that you do not consent to have your gallbladder removed without a comprehensive range of tests.  Despite the laissez faire attitude to the removal of  GBs by some doctors it is really important to your future health and digestion.

Read through some of the post GB surgery problems, and of coure the successes, on this site.

​I fully explored the possibilityof keeping my GB but I subsequently had my GB removed because I had no option due to considerable stones, sludge and thickening of the GB wall.  

​What did your GB ultrasound indicate?  Do you have stones, and or sludge?  If not, it can obviously be a more complex problem requiring more investigation and anaysis.  Possibly explore alternatives to improving the health of your GB.

​I have no medical background whatsoever, and when it comes to health matters I tend to investigate alternatives to slash, burn and dredging with strong chemicals.  I do not like PPIs for example.

​We all have different health histories and experiences.  It is therefore important to fully investigate what is the best individual approach.

​Those on this site can only tell of their own experience, which may or may not approximate to yours.

​Do your research.

• Posted

I had suffered with what I now realise was gallstones for some years before the attacks became so frequent and severe I had to see the doctor.   Diet is all important - low fat, but what I find annoying is that doctors and surgeons don't seem to have much "onward" information once you've had your GB removed; mine was removed in April 2015 and I've had various issues since, including similar pains to when I actually had a gallbladder and diarrhea.   This past week I bought some herbal Dandelion tablets and I believe they are helping with the digestion aspect and the diarrhea - I shall keep an eye on this.  The only information I was given for life after GB removal was that I may have to take something like immodiium alway.   I can't believe that the medical fraternity don't seem to have much knowledge on the subject except to say its ok to lose your GB as you can do without it.  Well, in my opinion, we have a gallbladder and it does an important task - so we do need it.   You really do need to research this issue before you have an op.

• Posted

I don't know if there is a cut off point or not. If I had to just guess by being around doctors constantly because of my own pain I would venture to say he'd want to take it out. I wanted to comment because I beg you to do your research for doctors before your surgery. Also I don't think laparoscopic surgery is the answer either. I am only saying this because I feel I and many other people have had bad experiences. I just wish I would have done my research first

• Posted

Sounds like a case for your surgeon to recommend what your options are. If in doubt, I'd suggest getting a second opinion if you're not comfortable with your surgeon's advice.

I had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago.

In my case it was a clear-cut case of pancreatitis caused by bile sludge, gallbladder necrotic infection, and gallstone blockage of the common duct. I had three ultrascans done on me. Twice by the emergency room doctor with a portable ultrascan gun, and another one by a technician/doctor in the ultrascan examination room (a full hour-long ultrascan session on my gallbladder and pancreas). She pushed and prodded all around my gallbladder and pancreas for that long, which I believe resulted in excellent diagnostics.

Suffering 6 months of pain and sickness is quite an ordeal, and I do hope you get an accurate diagnosis and eventual cure. I don't know what you mean by "EF", so it's difficult to respond to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.