Gall bladder removal recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have my gall bladder removed on Monday. I have pain as expected from wounds on my abdomen. My question is.. Is it normal at this point (4 days after surgery) to be feeling woozy/light headed. I'm sooo tired also. None if the sites are infected

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You've had major surgery and your body is reacting appropriately.  External incisions will heal in 4-6 weeks, internal can take much longer.  Give yourself enough time to heal. 

• Posted

Hi Hayley, oh its early days yet, so this is perfectly normal. Even at the end of 2 weeks I didn't feel right to go back to work, it was 3 weeks and then only part time. It'll take alot longer for the internal wounds to heal even though it'll look healed on the outside. I was tired alot afterwards and some of that is the medication as well as the healing process. 

Take it easy, rest up, walk around and listen to your body, you'll know when you can do more.

Take care x

• Posted

I had open surgery, but yes the anaesthetic does make you sleepy and tired for a few days. Some are quicker to recover than others: it could take a couple of weeks. Don't drive until your absolutely sure you can do an emergency stop safely. Whilst it's important to move round, make sure you get plenty of rest too. Drink plenty of water too.

• Posted

Absolutely normal. I am two weeks post op now and still get pretty tired. It really is early days. Take your pain meds regular. Drink plenty of fluids. Walk about a bit. And plenty of rest xx
  • Posted

I should have added that I found it quite hard to concentrate for a few days. I couldn't be bothered to read or knit or do anything that requires concentration. Even when watching tv, it was difficult to concentrate on storylines and I kept dropping off to sleep during one programme and waking up half way through the next. This only lasted a week or two but I'd had open surgery followed by more surgery only five weeks later so I'd had a lot of anaesthetic!!!

• Posted

Probably a reaction to surgery and anaesthetic. Are you taking any painkillers or meds? It could be those. Keep a check on your temperature, if you get any fever symptoms, or feel really unwell, call the doc or if UK NHS  helpline for further advice.

Meanwhile rest up and keep having fluids and light food if you can eat OK. Sleep if you feel tired as sometimes that can help.

• Posted

Hi you have to take it easy for about 8weeks. Feeling woozy and light headed takes time to go. I am 7weeks after my op and still feel light headed. You know when you over do it after you have done it !! Resting is very important after all you have had major surgery removing an organ.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.