Gall Bladder removal scheduled but no tests prescribed - is that OK?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear All,

I found this forum very helpful and would greatly appreciate your advice on the following:

BRIEFLY:

After accute cholecystitis 2 years ago I was recently prescribed gall bladder removal without fresh ultrasound and/or MRCP tests. Is that normal or shall I ask for the tests to be done prior to operation?

IN DETAIL:

I've been treated for accute cholecystitis at QE hospital in Birmingham 2 years and they also found 2.4 mm stone blocking the exit from my gall bladder. After ~10 day treatment with intravenous antibiotics I was recommended gall bladder removal, from which I rejected at that time.

However, over the last 4-5 months the flare-ups frequency significantly increased (strong pain at night triggered by some foods) and I've decided to go for the operation.

My GP has written me a reference letter to a treatment center at Nottingham, where I was seen by a clinician, who only palpated my belly and asked me to retell the background of the condition.

The clinician didn't do any tests (except palpating my stomach and prescribing blood tests) and only relying on my words he prescribed me a GB removal operation.

When I offered to let him know the name of the doctor who treated me 2 years ago and also to show him the discharge letter from the QE hospital - he said this is unnecessary, and what he recorded from my words is enough.

I found this attitude to be very relaxed and worrying - how can they prescribe an operation only relying on patient words and without doing fresh tests (Ultrasound, MRPC )? Is that normal practice or shall I ask for the tests before the removal?

My operation is in 2.5 weeks from today and I do worry a lot of whether I should proceed with it without the tests being done? I would be very grateful for your kind advice.

Thanks a lot

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Scary! If you can moderate your diet with low fat foods hang on to your GB. If you have another attack go to another doctor. Did this guy mention bile salt malabsorption, a common occurrence after removal. Did he also tell you that you may still have pain even with no GB?
    • Posted

Hi designergirl12,

From what I understood that guy isn't even a fully qualified doctor but something like senior medical assitant or something (I can't remeber his exact title).

He didn't mentioned either malabsorption nor pain after removal, but I've read about the postoperative pain on this forum, so I am aware of this possibility.

I've noticed that the pain is normally triggered by fatty foods (lamb, butter etc.) but lately the list of the triggers has expanded so that even soft cheese or full fat milk (which used to be fully okay months ago) can trigger the pain. So it looks like my body is becoming more intolerant to fats.

I've heard from a few people that GB removal has helped them a lot so that now they could eat almost anything and feel no pain. But I also read many sad stories here which made me cautious.

So you really think it's worth trying carry on living with GB on low fat diet? I'd really like to learn more about this and things like "never eat those foods" and recommended foods for GB diet lists etc. if such things exist.

• Posted

Well I have had mine for about 6years now and strangely enough I am experiencing a really bad attack. I also have diverticulitis which is not good with GB so that is why I have kept mine. It really is up to the individual to keep or get rid of. 

• Posted

Your gp would have received a copy of your discharge notes from QE, then when the gp referred you to this other hospital, they would have includes a back ground into your history. I would say go ahead with the op because you might have to wait months to get another appointment and u could have a bad flare up again.
    • Posted

Apparently neither the GP who reffered me nor the clinician who examined me at the treatment center had a copy of my discharge letter from QE. Moreover, the records that my GP has passed to the clinician didn't even mention my QE hospitalisation of 2 years ago. All this info the clinican has got from my words only.

I've also made a slip and said in QE I was treated for accute pancreatitis (whereas in reality it was cholecestitis) on which he based all his judgement and prepared the paper work for the operation. And when in the end I've realised the slip and corrected myself - he only smiled and amended a couple of words in the papers - and that's it!

To put it simple - such a relaxed attitude of medical personal at the treatment center made me worry: if clinican is so "relaxed", can't the surgeon who will operate me be equally sloppy?

That what really bothers me.

Also over the last month I sat on a low-fat diet and didn't have any flare-ups  or pain. The waiting time for this op (since the day I asked referal letter from my GP) was only 2 months, so not too bad.

Maybe I should postpone the op for now and see how it goes?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.