Gall bladder removed 3 years ago, now problems with B12 levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced these problems. I was symptom free for months and then in November I started getting central abdominal pain on and off. I also started having explosive diarrhoea and some bouts of constipation. My weight is steady and there is no sign of blood in my stools. The pain is worse when I lie down and the RUQ pain also started up again. I have bloating on and off and a real sense of urgency of needing to go to the toilet occasionally too. I decided to see the GP after I started feeling really tired. Anyhow, when I told him my symptoms and he had examined me, he thought I had IBS , IBD or celiac problems. He took some bloods and I have now been told that I need my CRP repeated (I had a terrible cold when I had the bloods done so I am not unduly worried about this) and I also need to have my B12 and folate repeated too. He has given me Meberverine for my tummy pain but I can't say that it is helping. My abdomen pain is more dull and constant than spasmodic. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, treezy,

Am wondering if you're taking a proton pump inhibitor to deal with acid reflux.  That can lead to low B12 issues.  

I am also wondering if you might have developed a hernia.  

Perhaps you might ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist...

Best of luck to you! Let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Thanks Lynda. I'm not on a PPI and the doctor didn't mention any abnormalities after examining my tummy. I think I probably need to have a colonoscopy or endoscopy to rule out more GI problems.

• Posted

I think you're right!  I just had both of these procedures, and need to go back in 5 years!  

Please do let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Hello-

So sorry about your situation:-(

Any chance at all it could be an ulcer?  Have you ever had one before to know what they feel like?  It sounds liek they are doing lots of tests - maybe you coudl ask your doctor about that possibility??

Pulling for you-

Jonna

• Posted

Thanks Jonna. I've never had an ulcer and it has crossed my mind that it could be that. I know that I need to just trust the medical profession to do their job, but the waiting is torture!

I'll keep you updated.

Theresa

• Posted

Hello - sorry to hear of your problems.

Sadly they sound a bit familiar.

I had similar issues but related to my appendix. After which I began to experience pain in the same area as my appendix and the bowel symptoms you've described.

Cutting a very long story short - I have adhesions (scar tissue). It's something that anyone can get but because my appendix was so infected it made things worse.

I suffer with b12 and folate deficiency which was discovered just before my appendicitis! I've recently had a bad flare up of it - related to a potential gallbladder issue - and it does effect my b12.

I had to go through the gastroenterologist but it's only when they've ruled out everything else can that say it's adhesions.

Make sure you find out what your level of b12 is - drs have a tendency to fob you off with b12. I've just had to fight for a year to get my injections reinstated after I moved to a new surgery!

Best of luck, wishing you good health!

• Posted

Thank you. Following two ultrasounds and MRI over a year ago, I was told it was probably adhesions but as I have new symptoms, I am so worried that it is something else. The constant, dull ache when I am lying down is really getting me down. I hope I have some answers soon.
  • Posted

I have a lot of the same symptoms. I was very tired and finally they checked my B-12 and I was deficient. I take the B-12 that goes under your tongue along with K and D otherwise I was told you won't get all the benefits if only take the B-12. I've had the RUQ pain since the GB troubles and continued after it was removed. Misdiagnosed and now I'm taking pain meds and a break from doctors who don't seem to take the time to figure out what's wrong. Hope you get it figured out

• Posted

It so is. What I fear will happen is that as time goes by something will show up that possibly could have been prevented .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.