Gall bladder surgery/Infection??

Posted , 6 users are following.

On Friday July 15th I had laprascopic gall bladder surgery.On that following Sunday I came down with a temp of 100.7 and called the surgeon and they said that maybe I was coming down with something. I had a family Dr appt on Tuesday and she gave me an antibiotic for possible sinus infection and said that two of the incisions looked questionable on becoming infected. Since then the incisions have become more red and the glue came out so drainage is coming out of them. I have also noticed that my stomach appears to be quite bloated and sore or swollen in the incision areas. Has anyone else ran into these problems and is it normal?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had it done last year about 8 months ago and didn't have any drainage or anything. Kept my bandage on for as long as possible. Did you have a follow up with your surgeon?

Bloated stomach is due to the gas they pump you with to expand your abdomen. That I had too and it went away. I hope you don't have any infections but that is easily treated with antibiotics .

Hope all is well.

• Posted

I have an appointment with the surgeon in the morning. I had assumed my condition would get better with being on an antibiotic but it hasn't yet. I also assumed that after 10 days the bloating would get better but it's increased too. So hopefully the surgeon gives me a good report!

• Posted

My step-son had his GB out two months ago and had some complications too.  He had to have a second surgery.  I believe they "nicked" his liver.  He also had an allergic reaction to some of the anesthetics given to him to put him "out" during surgery.  But that was a whole different story.  I'm sure that is not what's going on with you.

The nicked liver was the bigger problem though.  If I knew more details I would share.  He is absoultley fine now and was up and about two/three days after the second surgery.  If you have problems PUSH your surgeon to figure it out tomorrow morning and don't allow him to put you off.  My steip-son thought it was the surgeons fault but didn't want to call him out on it.  He just wanted to get better and the surgeon did fix it.

My step-son later made sure his insurance company wasn't charged for the second surgery and it appears so far they weren't. (although it's only been two months)  The insurance company shouldn't have to pay for a surgeon's error!  Good luck!  You'll be fine, although maybe you'll need a surgery again which stinks, but at least it's fixable.

• Posted

Good insight! I definitely will push for answers. It maybe nothing but I will hopefully at least get peace of mind tomorrow after my appt. I've talked to so many people who have all said they never had a fever with theirs and if they did definitely not going into day 10. I did have a laprascopic surgery a few years back and don't remember feeling this bad but I know this was a little more serious of a surgery too. So I'm crossing my fingers that everything is OK tomorrow!

• Posted

You're going to be swollen for awhile, especially if there's an infection. It takes time to heal from the inside out. I had 5 incisions due to a complication, but the one above my bellybutton gave me a lot of problems. I also had antibiotics prescribed by my family doctor, and that helped a lot. You're body is still healing andand fighting an infection, so make sure to get plenty of rest.

• Posted

Thank you! I can definitely tell when my body tells me to slow down as I get extremely fatigued at times! I guess I'm just wanting to feel better soon

• Posted

My step-son had to have anti-biotics too, but it was clear early on that they were not fixing the problem (it was the nicked liver).

He never even made it out of the hospital after the initial GB surgery.  He went right back in to have the second surgery done.  Like I said earlier, he is totally fine now (age 32)  but it did require a 2nd surgery.

• Posted

My surgery was outpatient so I was released that same day. My family Dr put me on antibiotics for sinus infection but it would serve as dual purpose for an intestinal infection too so that's what has mever a little concerned. Did your son have other symptoms too?

• Posted

Hi

One of my wounds started reopening afternoon approx 10 days ( probably because like yourself I was doing too much and overdoing it). It did then become infected and needed antibiotics - just to reassure you that it can happen after that long. However mine cleared quickly with the antibiotics so if yours isn't then I would suggest (like other posters) that you push for answers at your appointment. You may have a stone trapped in your bile duct which is common after gallbladder removal. Good luck - let us all know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi

​Your elevated temperature could be due to a variety of factors, some as already mentioned.  Obviously your condition requires further analysis and possible physical investigation.

​One possibility that springs to mind is a stone or stones have got loose and have been left in the vicinity during your Gb removal.  This could cause this effect.  Gallbladders should be extracted with all stones contained .

​If a stone was lodged in your bile duct you would begin to have evidence of jaundice

• Posted

Yes, he had a lot of pain.  It was enough pain that they didn't send him home from the hospital - which by the way was out-patient surgery....or at least it was supposed to be.  The amount of pain he was having was way more than a normal patient would be having after laprascopic the doctors kept him in the hospital and he had to have a scan and that's when they found the nicked liver.  And re-operated (laproscopically again).  What they did to fix it....?  I have no idea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.