Gallbladder

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have two large gallstones and sometimes get slight pain. Of course surgeon wants to,remove it. I watch now what I eat and lost some weight, and seem it is under control. I am confused if I don't have it removed, it may cause my gallbladder to get diseased or affect my liver. I read about the people that have had theirs removed and a feeling worse after removal. I don't know what to do with this point. I know a surgeon is going to recommend having it out but I don't want to be living with vomiting after or diarrhea or any of those other symptoms

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Be careful, if it burst you can die. Be very carefully, my dad almost diwd that way.
  • Posted

I know what your going through im in the same situation my scan shows at least 5 .

Im booked in for removal 22 nd jan .

Ive had 3 big attacks last month but nothing since . Seems like a very small proportion of people have problems after surgery and you have to wonder how many are not looking after there diet etc and have other problems as well ?

I think i will go ahead not sure if there s any other options apart from wait and see .

Sounds like yours is not too bad ???

• Posted

I get some pain on my right side only if I would eat something fatty, etc. I haven't done that in months, so I am pretty good. I do miss eating ice cream and cake, but manage. I am just concerned if I don't have surgery, it may get worse and then I would have to be rushed to the ER. If i choose to go soon, I can have it done laproscopic and go home same day. Seeing another surgeon on Tuesday to get another opinion.

• Posted

Another surgeon will just say the same take it out .

My doctor told me he has another clientt going on 6 + years with the gallstones and managing refuses to have it out .

Sounds like things are not too bad for you yet and have time on your side ?

I want to travel os , the last thing i need is my gallbladder acting up in some foreign place so best i do it .

Ive spokwn to quite a few people that had it out with no problems .

• Posted

No mine isn't too bad. I even tested myself and had pizza last night, which I made. Also been having some cookies. Just a little back pain last night, which faded away in about 2 hrs. I will see how it goes. No rush to have surgery since it's been over 5 years I had these stones but only recently acting up,some. I will be having laproscopic surgery when i go and will,be home same day. Just worried that I,may feel worse after surgery since I am,not bad now.

• Posted

HI 

I had mine removed 4 years ago now and had no problems .. after surgery . 

But you are left with a digestive system that has to adjust to no gallbladder.. it seems most people after removal find some foods especially gluten hard to digest .. 

my opinion is you need to have it done when you are mentally ready to .. when you are fed up with the attacks the limited diet etc .. then if you get stuck with diahreah or constipation and gluten intolerance you won’t be fazed by them .. you will still cope and enjoy life.. 

for me I had attacks for 15 years generally about 1 a year doctors misdiagnosed as food poisoning .. I ended up living on boiled potatoes and boiled veg becoming a vegetarian etc as I felt better not realising why .. so diagnosis and removal was a relief  and although I then had to eat prunes everyday and avoid gluten ..I am delighted to be pain free ... and feeling generally better in myself ..

just a word of caution .. it seems if you have your gallbladder removed not in an emergency you are less likely to get the horror stories you can read on here .. and you must always remember that many of us don’t just have dodgy gallbladder’s our livers can be sluggish too and struggling so removal of one thing doesn’t always solve everything .. hope that helps 🤔

• Posted

Thanks sally that s good advice i tbought there must be other issues re other organs because why would some be ok and some not .

Ive had 3 attacks in my back ( my first ) last month but settled now no real other symtoms , no eating problems just occaisonal feeling crap in the gut for like 10 mins.

Im not as sick as a lot pf people on here im wondering whether to postpone opp ?

• Posted

You just need to decide what is the best option for you.  There are so many different histories of people with differing symptoms before and after on here that it just isnt a cut and dried decision.

for what its worth, mine wasnt diseased, i had back pain intermittently and a scan showed stones. So surgeon said take it out.  

Yes, you need to be careful about diet afterwards and there may be some repercussions for one or two patients, but i know more people who are well after it.

• Posted

Thing is I am going to be 76 in January and have fear of being put out for surgery, plus the recovery. Like I said, the pain I get is not often and us manageable. It's not being able to eat everything and I can't afford to lose anymore weight. I am a petite woman and already lost about 8 lbs or more. I am frightened if I don't have it removed it may be diseased or affect other organs. Don't know what to do.😒

• Posted

HI Marie 

i have found asking the surgeon if you were my age and in my situation what treatment would you have removal or manage ... you’ll be surprised .. they feel they have to offer surgery treatments but when asked they do give you an answer and explanation .. 

they are the experts dealing with people at various stages of gallbladder disease .. knowing the risks of leaving alone and of removal ..

• Posted

I echo what Sally says.

Ask your surgeon for their opinion and the positives and negatives as they know best.

• Posted

I think you should do more research. If you are in America , they remove gallbladders way more than they should, as they get paid for every surgery by insurance companies. There are plenty of podcasts about that. But in UK they only remove them when absolutely necessary, as the government has to pay for the surgeries, so removal is not standard treatment in the U.K. I’ve recently had mine removed, and I haven’t had any problems, so don’t let that put you off. But if you’re not in pain, then please look at alternatives. There is medication that can dissolve the stones. That’s the most common treatment in the U.K.  Removing an organ should always be a last resort. There are people who have had bad experiences, but that’s purely antidotal. Good luck! 

• Posted

When you are ready and get tired of the debilitating pain you will be ready. It's dangerous in most cases as this will only get worse and cause complications if left untreated.

The  cases with issues after surgery for support and usually posted to know they are not alone and also more info. Not many successful surgeries mentioned on this forum. 

I vote for you to continue your life without the complication of gallstones .I had it done done in my 20's. It takes the body time to adjust after surgery. It will and you will be glad you did! 

👍

• Posted

Hi I'm post op three weeks now,at first I thought what have I done as I had quite a lot of discomfort and diarrhea,I still do now but I take Loperamide Hydrochloride 2mg capsules if I no I'm going out for a meal,everyone is different but I've found the pros are better then the cons,I couldn't take the attacks any longer

• Posted

I'll be 2 weeks post op on new Years Day and so far so good. The worst pain was immediately after surgery in the recovery room. My GB was infected and I think they has to make a larger incision than expected to remove it along with pus.

The first 4-5 days post op I took my pain killers regularly to keep on top of things. Day 7 I drove the car and day 8,Christmas day,I ate and drank what I wanted. Since then things have just rapidly improved. I have the occasional pain inside from where the GB used to be best I remember that it was cut shoved and pushed about less than 2 weeks ago.

I'd say read and research as much as you feel the need to about surgery -before and after. I wanted surgery and to be honest I had convinced myself that post surgery would be all doom and gloom and never being more than 100 yards from a toilet. As with any forums, the negative and horror stories will always stand out above the positive ones.

I will say though, that if you're GB is causing you pain ,then your body is telling you something .

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

Hi how you going post surgery now ?

Im scheduled for the opp in another 10 days .

Went seen surgeon again as mine gb has settled down . Yes its full of stones said probally been there for a long time .My bile duct is a bit enlarged , surgeon said i may never get another attack or it may get worst , what to do i feel great .

Im thinking of going ahead .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.