Gallbladder aggravation

Posted , 5 users are following.

It has been 2 yrs+ and I still suffer from RUQ pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation to the point where I actually am in bed for 24-48 hrs! I've had ALL the tests done including the HIDA 2x. I'm meeting with my doc to explain that test.

Ejection rate is 62% 2yrs ago & last week 81%. However the other 3 categories are WAY WAY WAY outside the normal range!!! It must mean SOMETHING!

It's comforting to know there are others experiencing the same thing ( tho I am sooo sorry)!

Had major back surgery and had to be on a liquid diet for one solid month due to this people's.

Not sure why I'm writing this other then to get it off my chest with those who care and understand! Could it all be due to stress? After all I moved my mom in with me 1 yr ago. Unfortunately she's not an easier person to deal with. She's very bitter & unhappy! sad. Thanks guys for listening.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Deb,

So sorry you're dealing with all this!  I would suggest that you consider trying the FODMAP list of foods, which are supposed to be non-iritating, keeping to low fat, and trying a good probiotic. Drinking lots of water, and staying away from all artificial sweeteners, which do a number on your gut bacteria, and only make you want to eat more sweets!  Also, from high fructose corn syrup.  Use natural sweeteners, in moderation.

Ask your doctor to explore whether you have a fatty liver, too.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do!   

• Posted

Getting it off your chest is good... A prblem shared is a problem halved.

I had to change my diet completely when i was having the same problems... for some time i ended up living on yogurt or porridge... not a good idea but i got a bit of a phobia about eating because of the pain and constipation.

Any way hope your feeling betté soon...

I had my gall bladder removed 7/12/16 so just getting back to trying different foods again nowbxxx

• Posted

I too am fearful of eatting so I have been keeping it very simple & bland.

Doc appt tomorrow so stay tuned!! Thank you for the advice and support

• Posted

Hi Deb, your HIDA scan results are higher than they should be, they should be between 40-70% approximately. Your gallbladder may not be working properly but I'm sure your doctor will explain all to you. 

Don't worry about getting things of your chest as its why we are here, to support and share information and experiences. As previously mentioned cut down to low fat and find out which foods may aggravate your gallbladder. Stress does increase your symptoms so you must try and find some way of winding down.

Take care

• Posted

I am very appreciative and thankful for your comments and support. Will see my doc tomorrow and am very anxious to hear the explanation on the various ranges of my HIDA results

Thank you again and will be in touch

• Posted

Hi Deb, good luck and I hope you get the explanations that you need so that you can get onto the road to recovery. 
  • Posted

I am so anti doctors at this point. All they do is pass me off to another doctor. The only thing helping me right now is tramadol. There is no way the pain I have is remotely normal. When I went to talk to the surgeon who took out my gallbladder he was so arrogant and ends up giving me a breast exam which has nothing to do with this pain. I felt violated. I started to fall into a depression but I'm not letting that happen to me. Best of luck you. Talking helps. Thanks to everyone who's listening. ?

• Posted

Patricia, 

So sorry to learn this.  A breast exam?  If you felt violated, you were!  

My best to you, and I hope you find the answers you need.  Please try a gastroenterologist, and if you are already seeing one, and he isn't trying to help you, see another!

xx

• Posted

Hi Patricia, that is appalling, I can't believe you were put through that. Why was your gallbladder removed, what were your symptoms then and now? Just to get an idea of your history then someone maybe able  to guide you in the right direction. You definately need to see a doctor who has indepth experiences of biliary issues as some issues do arise after gallbladder surgery but not all doctors know about this. Take care and we'll speak soon.

• Posted

I started with a side pain. Eventually I was relating it to food. I had an ultrasound and no stones. Hida scan was borderline low. When I couldn't bear the pain anymore I had the GB out June 2015. I continued to have pain on right side under ribs that feels like it wraps around to my back. I took a Tylenol 3 in Nov 2015 and ended up in the ER with UTI and liver enzymes were extremely high. Gastro thought I might have SOD. I had that surgery and still pain. I was taking tramadol but a very low dose that did not help. My doctors office doesn't know what to do. In May 2016 I went to Mayo Clinic. I had blood work etc... the gastro doctors there diagnosed me with a thoracic issue. I followed what they said to do and went to a spine pain clinic. Had a nerve block that didn't help and had 2 epidurals that didn't help. They put me on gabapentin and the tramadol . Neither helped and I felt my memory was going. Very scary. They sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. He sent me for another MRI of thoracic and a CT scan of the ribs. He couldn't find anything g on tests that would cause me this pain. He suggested I go back to the surgeon who took my GB out. The appointment was terrible. The surgeon was so arrogant and defensive . He says my GB was 5 times the size and 4CC's of fluid. Than he examined me by tapping on my back and pressing on my stomach . Just doing it as a routine . Than says he's going to give me a breast examination . I said I just had a mamogram and he says sometimes they don't find it. Never asked if I had breast pain etc... there was no reason for that. It did not feel right. Anyway he tells me to go to a neurologist andcthat maybe I had shingles and didn't know it. So odd. He wasn't trying to help me at all. Or he said maybe go to gastro who is in the same building as he is. It was so deflating and depressing . I decided I needed a break from doctors . The pain I have is not a pain that is normal otherwise I would just ignored it and life goes on . Lots of people live with chronic pain. This is not a normal pain. Sorry this is such a long story. A 2 weeks ago went to a great doctor. All total they spent 2 hours with me. His diagnosis is slipping rib syndrome . Sounds like it could definitely be that. They said to go to chiropractor, tramadol and an anti inflammatory. Go to chiropractor and she doesn't really think it's a rib problem. This is such a vicious cycle . I feel that doctors are just passing me around. I'm going to give this a couple more weeks and see what happens. She is also doing laser therapy. If this doesn't help I'm going to try acupuncture. Otherwise I'm a 56 year old that is otherwise in good health. I don't have nausea or bathroom issues just this right side pain that is very Intense sometimes. If I didn't have the tramadol I couldn't go on like this. Thank you for caring. I haven't come across anyone that just has the pain. The other thing is I cannot wear a normal bra. It eventually hurts me so bad. The pain I have is deep pain not really on the surface .

• Posted

oh my god, Patricia, you've really gone through the mill with all of this. From reading what you've written if you haven't already done so you need to find a good gastroenterologist that has upper GI and specificially biliary issues as their specialty. I'm in the uk so things are done a bit differently here but did you have a gastroscopy, I did early on and they took biopsies to check for Crohns disease even though it is quite rare they wanted to check for ulcers as well, both came back clear. Also I had a test for Addisons disease which is a problem with your adrenal glands which are on the kidneys hence you get pain in the side and not necessarily on both sides so its worth a check. I really don't know why he checked your breasts, they're aren't allowed to do that in this country without a female nurse or assistant in the room as I feel that he shouldn't have done what he did to you. Which surgery for SOD did u have, did you have the sphinctorectomy where they cut the sphinctor? It definately sounds as though you needed to have your gallbladder out. I had a MRCP which is a type of MRI but looks at all those organs much clearer than an ultrasound. I know the feeling as though your memory is going, I'm on cocodamol and my memory isn't as good as it was before and I can't think clearly. Whats laser therapy, I don't know that one? I've also been talking to someone else on this site and she's going to try acupuncture to ease the pain so I'd like to know how you get on. 

Keep in touch patricia and let me know how your getting on with pain and finding someone to help you. We'll be here to talk to as and when you need it so don't bottle it up and share what you're going through.

Take care, best wishes.

• Posted

Hi, Patricia!

I'm so sorry that seeing the chiropractor didn't work out for you!  There is a syndrome called median arcuate ligament syndrome.  The Cleveland clinic has information about it on its site. I suggest you look it up on line. It produces gallbladder like pain.  They have developed a surgery for it.  A gentleman wrote in to this site and mentioned his daughter had the surgery, and was cured of this pain.  

I'll be thinking of you!  Please continue to post on this site and let us know how you're doing!

• Posted

Thank you so much. I'm going to look this up right now. I'll keep you Posted. Xo Patti

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.