Gallbladder And Diarrhea

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does having the gallbladder removed stop the painful cramps

and diarrhoea ?

I'm really struggling with these symptoms .

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

unfortunately there is no way of knowing, everyone reacts differently.

If it is caused by the gallbladder then there is a good chance, but for some they will still get stomach issues and diarrhoea.

My mum still has IBS symptoms after removal and hers has been gone over 20 yrs.

• Posted

Frankly, the surgery might not.  There are two reasons that you have cramping and diarrhea.  The first is that your gallbladder is releasing too much bile into your small intestine during digestion because it's not working properly.  The second is that you might have bile acid malabsorption.  The body makes a hormone that helps the bile released into the small intestine to be reabsorbed into the body at the end of the digestive process.  For an unknown reason, some people stop making this hormone and the result is that the bile causes cramping and diarrrhea.

There is medication that can be prescribed for you that will act to absorb the bile.  

• Posted

Hi Lynda

How would you know if you have bile acid malabsorption ?

Can the GP prescribe the medication ? I'm not seeing the

gastroenterologist until August.

• Posted

If you have it you will have sudden, urgent diarrhea after eating.  Your stools will be very loosely formed and sometimes float in yellow, caustic fluid, which is bile acid.  If the stools are sampled and tested they will be classified as normal.  While in fact, what they're floating in is the bile, which is not tested in the sample--and what's causing the problem.

IBS-D is a broad classification of several digestive problems which result in the same condition, diarrhea.  Gastroenterologists usually are more interested in finding out what's happening internally.  GP's, not so much.  But a GP can prescribe the medication.  I'll send you a private message. xx

• Posted

after my keyhole removal gb,  im afraid ive gone the other way, always seem to be constipated,im now trying eating more fruits etc,  all best,
  • Posted

It did stop the cramps for me. You have to take it easy at first. Heard about someone who was discharged same day following laparoscopy and ordered an Indian takeaway! Definitely not recommended.

For first day or two I barely ate anything. Just had no appetite. I'd order food, but when it came I couldn't eat it. Maybe due to anaesthetic?

Then, for about a month, I continued to eat low fat. I gradually introduced small amounts of fat and at the same time I increased the amount of fibre in my diet as this helps soak up excess bile. I kept my meals fairly small too.

I'm now three months post op and can eat most things providing I don't overload my digestive system with lots of fat. It's basically been a common sense approach. I can eat small amounts of fat but I haven't ordered an Indian takeaway yet. I've eaten Chinese takeaway, fish (batter removed) with a few chips and a few slices of pizza.

To be honest, I'm happy to eat like this for the rest of my life if it means no pain and the weight loss is a welcome side effect.

• Posted

That's great news that you are so much better.

I have eaten low fat for years and would stick to it afterwards

for the health benefits.

I hope you continue to feel good, keep us updated on your progress, it's always good to hear the positive stories.

• Posted

Linda,

I had mine removed last September and afterwards still went through a lot of pain. I was referred to a Gastroenterologist and he was able to help more extensive. I also found that sticking to a diet low in fat really helped and grapes were easy to digest. There might be other complications, as is normal. What happened to me was I had a peptic ulcer and needed to add powdered fiber into my diet. The cramping was relieved with medicine. Main point, complications are normal to arise after surgery. Your body is just trying adjust and you feel uncomfortable. Stick to low fat mainly fruit and veggies and soups, until you start noticing progress. I would definitely see a Gastroenterologist, that might help a lot. Don't feel alone and don't get discouraged. You made it this far, it does get better and it is not forever. Best of luck. *sends huge hug*

• Posted

Juli Sorry things didn't go smoothly for you but glad

you got the help you needed. Hope you continue to improve.

Sending *big hug back *.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.