Gallbladder attack after surgery??

Posted , 6 users are following.

1 week after having my gb out, I was doing fine.

However, last night I had what felt like a gallbladder attack... Same symptoms, pain in front, back, shoulder, weak, shaky, breathless, hot and claims. Awful. As per my previous attacks it eased after about 2 hours, I walked around, took buscapan etc. This morning I felt weak, exhausted, sore.

Went to docs, he poked my cuts, two were abit weepy so I'm now on antibiotics but he had no idea why I had the severe pain last night. He said it couldn't be an attack as there is no gallbladder which I know.... It sounds ridiculous.

Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Is it not possible there's been gallstones that have escaped from the gallbladder and are causing problems? If it happens again go to a&e xx

• Posted

Check out post cholecystectomy syndrome.

The wound infection will make you feel grotty for a few days until the antibiotic kicks in - usually about three days. This would explain the weak, shaky, breathless, hot and clammy feelings you're getting. Just give the antibiotics time.

As for the pain, could be that they've missed a migrated gallstone.

• Posted

Hi Gayle, don't forget its still early days for your recovery, as others have said you may have a stray gallstone or you may have twisted or over stretched during your recovery causing pain.  I still had quite alot of pain within the first week and when I spoke to the gastro dept they said this was perfectly normal as the insides are still very tender so be very careful with movement.  I wouldn't look down the post cholecystectomy syndrome route just yet, the doctors thought I had sphincter of oddi syndrome which is part of this, before and after surgery as I was still in alot of pain, I was suffering so much I saw a private doctor who diagnosed anterior cutaneous nerve entrapment which can happen quite alot after surgery but is miss diagnosed by many doctors. 

If you have this pain again then go to a&e but recovery does take alot longer than most realise, don't do too much too soon as it will hurt. Take it easy.

Take care x

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out in October 2015. I began having excruciating

gallbladder attacks again in January 2016 that increased in frequency and left me curled up on the floor screaming in pain. Doctors discovered after an mri that I had an errant gallstone that had escaped pre/during

surgery and had been hanging out in my bile duct undetected. Slowly but surely it moved through my system until it got stuck. I had to have

another procedure called an ercp under anesthesia to cut a hole in my

bile duct so the stone and any other sludge could pass . This procedure is outpatient surgery and I was back to work the next day. Now I feel great! Hope this helps you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.