Gallbladder Back Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone ever had gallbladder pain where the pain is mostly in the back? 

About 3 week ago I have been having severe mid-back pain. Dull achy stabbing pain. It sometimes goes into the right side of my stomach and pain right above my navel. When I eat it gets worse, but more so in my back. Nausea is just crazy, never actually vomiting, but I just feel sick sick sick. I've had x-rays, CT Scan, ultrasound, and blood work all showing nothing, no stones or anything. Had an endoscopy that showed nothing. Had a Hida Scan that showed my gallbladder functions at 29%. I am scheduled for gallbladder removal next Friday. 

I'm just concerned because everything I'm reading talks about gallbladder pain being in the stomach not back. Could this really be gallbladder?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, I'm 10 days post op, I suffered with the back pain it was awful. Couldn't last a day at work as the pain would be that bad. Sounds extremely similar to what you are experiencing although my gall stones showed up. So far my back pain seems to have eased. I did ask my surgeon about the back pain and in can happen with some people. Hope this helps and good luck with it all

• Posted

Yep! I've been getting pain in the back exactly opposite where it's sore on the stomach. HIDA scan was 32% so see surgeon Monday to discuss what he wants to do. What options did you get? And how long have you had issues for? I'm def asking for gallbladder to come out anyway as the pain is unbelievably bad just now. Have a look at biliary dyskinesia - gallbladder issues without the stones. All the symptoms matched me to a tee anyway! xx

• Posted

I really wasn't given any options because when I went to see the surgeon I had already made up in my mind that I wanted it out. I have been in this pain for 3 weeks, but I wonder if some other issues I've had in the past were from gallbladder. They were never this bad to cause a concern I just thought they were just stomach bugs because they just went away. Good luck to you when you meet with the surgeon. I'm counting down my days to surgery date!

• Posted

I'm actually jealous you're getting your surgery so soon! Where in the world are you? In the U.K it takes a while to get a date for surgery! Yeah I've made up my mind I want it out too. Can't cope with the pain of it anymore. Been having issues since Aug last year they thought was my appendix but even after that was out I was still getting on and off pain. Really came to a head in April though, ultrasound end of May, was supposed to see surgeon in Aug then ended up in hospital with gallbladder pain in July so back to see another surgeon to decide what to do. Hopefully get urgent surgery! Good luck for Friday 😀 Xx

• Posted

Hi, I had similar pain with most of it in the back, my gallbladder wasn't working properly either at only 14% but the doctors did say they didn't think it was all from the gallbladder and that I would probably have some pain after sugery. I had surgery in March and they were right, one doctor thought I might have sphincter of oddi syndrome and another doctor thought it might be anterior cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome of which I have had nerve blocks put in my abdomen and I've just had a mri of my spine as I'm still in alot of pain unfortunately.

I hope for your sake it is all your gallbladder giving you this pain as I've been dealing with this for over a year now and I'm just waiting for another appointment with the pain clinic but unfortunately its a slow process.

Biliary dyskinesia covers many conditions including a non functioning gallbladder so they take the gallbladder out initially and then see what your symptoms are.

Good luck on Friday, that part of all of this wasn't as bad as I thought and the nursing staff were excellent. Keep me updated with how you are. 

• Posted

See I have normal back issues, I have a slipped disc so I know there will still be some back pain. But this pain felt way different. I could take muscle relaxers with the other pain and it would go away after a couple of days. But this was higher up and just felt different. 

I will definitely give an update!

• Posted

Mother in law only had back pain. I had pain centrally, rh side and right shoulder blade. Varies from patient to patient. If your gallbladder isn't working properly, it's probably best to have it out as leaving it in is risky.

• Posted

That's pretty much what I'm going to end up doing!

• Posted

Surgeon agreed to take the gallbladder out 🎉👌🏽. Said it may not resolve all the symptoms but that's the chance I'm willing to take. Now just to see how long I have to wait until surgery xx

• Posted

The Dr told me a few months ago I have little gallstones and a big one I've been having another of issue this past week everything I eat and drink comes back up I'm having bad pain in the middle of my back pain In the right side of my stomach I was told it was an in and out surgery that they won't keep me I'm going in the morning to the hospital to see if they will do something about it the pain is bad I keep a heating pad on me to try and ease some of the pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.