Gallbladder Calcification/Thickening

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all! Long term IBS sufferer but it's mainly caused by stress and random things. Had moderate-severe LRQ pain a couple of times and sent to hospital but things always came back clear thankfully. Also had a sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out anything else, all fine.

Aug/Sept 2020 I started getting a really annoying nagging/aching pain in my right shoulder blade. Knowing it could be gallbladder I rang my GP who agreed and sent me for an ultrasound. GP said the report showed a slightly fatty liver and a "possible issue" with the GB so I was referred on to a gastro consultant. I have had some slight twinges in my URQ but nothing major and I do wonder if it's psychological as I think about the GB!

Dec 2020: Consultant rang and said GB looks like it's calcifying. Ordered an MRCP (MRI with contrast dye). No classic GB "attack" pain or anything just this intense aching/nagging.

22nd Jan 2021: MRCP done.

22nd Feb 2021: Consultant rang to GB has signs of calcification and the GB wall is thickening. No mention of gallstones. He said he wanted to look further and also look at my small intestine so ordered a CT scan with contrast dye via IV.

17th Mar 2021: Had bloods done to check I'm ok to have the IV contrast next week.

I'll update when I have the CT. I've read up that calcification can lead on to GB cancer but trying not to worry too much over that. I wonder if that's why he wants a CT as well as having had the US and MRCP? Anyone else been in my situation? I know they often like to remove if it's calcifying due to the risk of malignancy 😕

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

24 Mar 2021: Had CT with contrast. Went fine. Told after it to book in for a phone consult appt, couldn't get one until the 17th May!!! Insane, lets hope there is nothing malignant then 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.