Gallbladder - can it heal on it's own?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a few attacks before Chirstmas and in the new year. I"ve seen the doctor and had the ultra sound and it was confirmed that I have gallstones and that I need to have my gallbladder removed.

I've starting eating healthily and no problems. I recently ate quite a fatty meal and have not had any pain at all. Although I"m still being careful it feels like i'm able to eat more fatty foods and have no problems.

Has anyone else had this and is it possible that my gallbladder doesn't need to be taken out?

Thanks

Katie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I heard that eating lots of red beets and juice helps.

And all those juices for flushing improve liver and gallbladder ,with ginger lemon lime kale spirulina orange etc..

But most GB never recover unfortunately.

Good luck to you

• Posted

I had my first biliary attack 6 years ago and afterwards everything settled down until six months ago when I started having excruciating pains day and night and the pain is getting worse - I'm waiting for my gallbladder removing and I can't wait, even though I know there is a risk that the pain will continue afterwards as stated in other posts - but I can't live like this.

You may continue for a long time without another attack, just don't be lulled into a false sense of security that you won't have another attack. With regard to surgery, maybe you could watch and wait rather than rushing into it as if you are very careful you may be able to keep any future attacks at bay. Also looking into natural methods of healthcare may help you to avoid surgery in the long term. My situation is past that.

Wishing you all the best whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Katie

I have the same 'problem'. As I understnad it, if you want to keep your gallbladder it is important to keep the bile flowing. Low fat makes the bile in the GB just settle and turn into sludge, low fat diets of the 80s and 90s were the cause of all this gallstone stuff. Introducing the right fats, avocado, coconut oil, almond oil, good qualtiy olive oil,  etc  are the way to go. Don't go over the top as you may cause problems but if you look up the LCHF diet you might find osmething to interest you. LCHF is Low Carb, high fat.

keep in touch..

• Posted

I don't understand. Why then have all the doctors I have seen so far advised me to have as Low fat or even a No fat diet, I have gallstones.
  • Posted

My doctor told me to have a low fat diet, what she maeans was no gorging on pizzas or curries - low fat can mean avocados etc becuse your body needs oil for things like brain function and joints etc.

The body needs fats, end of story. Doctors tell you to keep to a no fat diet in order that the GB will not contract and squeeze out stones into the bile ducts which causes pain and jaundice.

I avoided fats at all costs and then my skin went scaly and my hair snapped off so, after extensive research on the internet,  as advised by my doctor! I introduced GOOD fats into my diet. Try it and see what your body will tolerate. After a while it will tolerate more. Having read over your initial post I see that you are doing this.

You will probably pass small stones without realising it.

Beetroot, celery, apple and apple cider vinegar are all good for your liver and GB.

Some say not to eat oranges but I don;t know.

• Posted

I have gallstones and am waiting to have my gallbladder removed. My GP told me to stick to a Low Fat or even No Fat diet. I am doing this.

If you are OK with more fatty stuff it could be that your gallbladder does not need to come out.

But I am not nurse or a doctor. Discuss with a professional before making a decision.

All the best

Take care

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.