Gallbladder disease: How fast does it go?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been in nonstop pain for over a week. Today was the first day with orange/yellow stools and mucus (almost like a stream of urine, but mucus.)  I have a HIDA scan scheduled 4/18, but I’m worried that I won’t make it...is this ER trip-worthy? Or can I make it until this Friday when my physician comes back? Thanks for any help! This is awful. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

With me it was pretty relentless but a friend of mine had it come and go for about 2 months lasting a few days at a time.

Is there any chance you can go private and have it done quicker. I really wanted it sorted quickly so my timeline was roughly:

-went to dr appointnent complaining of pain monday, she ordered scans and took blood on the spot.

-had ultrasound on the tue

-results from blood & scan on thur

-consult with surgeon on mon

Gallbladder removed following monday

So from 1st dr appointment to removal was just over 2 weeks.

Im a student but the pain was so bad and so distracting from my work I just wanted it sorted quickly.

So to elaborate on your question, i really hope your symptoms settle down soon because I know how bad it can be. But also beware that they may not.

Also what can happen if you have stones is that they get stuck in the duct in which case its an emergency. If it hurts to push on your abdomen or if your skin or eyes go yellow go to emergency asap!

All the best

• Posted

Hi Steve! Thanks for the reply. I’m in the States so my insurance is private, and costly, and yet I still can’t get in earlier. I live in a big city (Chicago) you’d think that we’d have more appointments, eh? This is ridiculous! Sorry I’m just venting. Never had orange stools before and it is scaring me. Today is just diarrhea no more orange. 

I hope they get me in Sooner - no stones showed on CT scan nor ultrasound so I genuinely wonder if it’s a diseased galladder. Or maybe just stones not showing? Ugh! 

Hope your studies didn’t get overwhelming whilst sick, and glad you’re on the other side of it now 🤗

• Posted

My niece was only 20 when she had her gall bladder removed. She has always been quite plump but I

do not know what her diet was up until the 'removal'! I know now she pays attention to eat a correct diet.

Most humans eat many an item that is not good for them and is not healthy but that's humans for you!

Have you had at least an ultrasound for the detection of gall stones?

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for the reply, it seems to almost help the pain a bit, reading here. I had ultrasound, blood work 2x, and a CAT SCAN/CT scan with contrast. No issues seen but with the orange/yellow stool, severe pain, etc doc is convinced it’s my GB and has HIDA setup 4/18. 

I can’t even take care of my little ones, had to hire a sitter and I never do that. But lifting the 35 lb toddler when she’s tired for naptime is impossible. 

I’m seeing a lot of UK residents on this board and the friendliness is amazing. I appreciate all the insight and advice y’all have shared. 

• Posted

Hida is a way to go along with endoscopy.Do you have bloating , burping,acid reflux  in addition to pain ?
    • Posted

So do you have any cholesterol stones from the scans? The subscribers on this forum have had gallstones and most have had their gall bladder removed (cholocystectomy) but I myself have eradicated 3 stones and reduced the diameter of the biggest stone to almost half of what it was.

I do not know categorically  if Ursodioxycholic acid is prescribed for partially functioning gall bladders but I do see that it is prescribed to help patients with primary biliary cirrhosis.

In low dose (prophylactic) measures it prevents stones from forming.

• Posted

There are many technical / medical sites on the internet re the data for the chemical makeup of gall stones but I believe the cholesterol type stones are deemed be 'radio opaque'. This I believe they can be seen by ultrasound.  I'll have another look to see the confirmation data but I believe the radiologist

will see immediately what the stones are. I believe a greater majority are cholesterol stones that

would be susceptible to dissolution by urso. 

• Posted

No stones that they can see, HIDA scan in 14 days i can’t wait, so excited to find out why this is happening. Thank you for the info I will check it out 
  • Posted

Update: Finally yesterday the pain became manageable/annoying instead of horrible. I have terrible vertigo right now and have all day, anxious to talk to my doc tomorrow. I can’t believe I have to wait two weeks just to get this checked with the HIDA - hellish. 
    • Posted

I got vertigo when my digestion was severely impacted. The only way to control all symptoms is to have very small meals with no oil/fat/protein boiled rice with fat free yogurt is way to go to control symptoms.
    • Posted

Thank you! I have been doing very low fat but will do no fat from here on out. Hope that helps me, and I thank you for the advice 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.