Gallbladder food help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone 

just had my gallbladder removed . Looking for help and a food list of what people in the same boat eat with no issues . Am I allowed to drink flavored seltzer water ? I gave gone online and know I'm not to have pizza chocolate milk products cheese etc and lithe to no fat but I was a junk food junkie and now that mist of what I use to eat is taboo I have no clue what to eat ? How bout mashed potatoes and or baked potatoe. Any lists would be sooooo appreciated . Thanks much smile 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had mine removed yet although I have a consultant appointment this afternoon.

I only eat eggs, fish, roasted Mediterranean vegetables, spinach.

I have cut out all processed foods so no ham etc. Also I don't eat any meat at all! Too scared to.

• Posted

I had my GB removed many years ago and have found that in moderation I can eat anything at all.

I do have to be careful as some foods give me acid reflux but generally once it had been removed I found it was easy!

L

• Posted

Hi linda have you been told you can't eat certain things? The consultant told me that I *may* develop food intolerance after surgery. That is fatty food may make you run to the toilet if you know what I mean. I'm due to have mine out in may. Since October I have been on less than 3% fat diet which is pretty hard but not impossible. I intend to stick to low fat after surgery for general health but not as low as 3%!
  • Posted

Hello I had mine out in February. I found I can eat a little of almost anything. THe most  important thing is to eat small meals little and often. I don't eat  chip suppers at all and curry can be a problem. Keep to the lower fat options and never overeat. I've had pizza, chocolate and cheese in smal portions with no ill effects. I did have to go back into hospital with an infection but this was not related to food at all. I'm 72 and was just doing too much too soon I think.I am on the mend now after some strong antibiotics.Good luck. Just don't look back and take it easy for at least 6 weeks. No heavy lifting. If you are young you will recover much more quickly.
  • Posted

I have an OK time binging on pringles but it has been a few years. I am older so salt is becoming an issue with retention.  I can not eat red meat with out it just sitting there,  it seems the bad things for me just sit there and my stomach swells I guess with fluid trying to help the digestion but then I look 6 months pregnant and feel awful just so full like I ate too much. Nothing I take helps so feel stuffed and bloated, which is worse with pasta, even one pasta shell. I don't get it. But red meat and pasta are my enemy after about almost 4 years past surgery. I really was scared when it was taken out because I could litterally not eat anything. I lost a lot of weight 40 pounds fast. Everything made me cramp and bloat and want to die. Sorry being honest , the good part it just gradually got better. Now I can have a slice of pizza depending on it not being greasy because certain grease is out.  I do coconut oil everyday and some olive oil fine. Start with chicken broth, raw veges chewed at least to the count of 50. Be sure you really go slow and chew. You know  try one little thing, and trial and error. Hope it goes real fast for you to a normal diet and a few binges in your future.
    • Posted

Just a question: Did you have any under your ribs pressure, or any back pain , like 6 weeks or more after your surgery? 
    • Posted

None I went to er after 4 days of heartburn and no over the counter remedies helped . 
  • Posted

I am almost 7 weeks post op. I am still finding out what I can and can't handle, but very low fat is the way to go for at least the first month or so. Soup, broth, jello, pudding, chicken, veggies, and yes, both mashed and baked potatoes were great for me. Good luck to you. Lots of water and rest. 
  • Posted

I have 4 incisions and a total of 11 staples which get taken out later today. 

Anyone had staples ... Dies it hurt having them removed ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.