Gallbladder, IBS, opinions???

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had six months of upper right abdominal pain, especially when eating fatty foods. My ultraound came back normal and HIDA scan had an ejection fraction of 79%, which is considered normal. I may have one episode each week, but wake up several mornings with what feels like morning sickness. (not pregnant) My stomach feels bloated and full, and my bowels are pretty much the same. I also have pain in my back and right side at times. I ate a greasy meal last week and I hurt for hours. Worst pain ever.

My doctor wants to refer me to a surgeon, to see about having my gallbladder removed. If my HIDA scan came back normal, could the gallbladder still be the problem? Are there any other tests that should bed done? I am very healthy and have never had many health problems before. Any advice would be great!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had similar symptoms but Hida scan was borderline low. Had the GB out. Surgeon said gallbladder was 5 x's the size and a lot of fluid. That was a year and a half ago. I still have the right side goes straight thru to the back pain. Had SOD surgery and many doctors. Now they say I have slipping rib syndrome . Its been nothing but pain and doctors. They can't figure it out so they send you to another doctor. I would do everything possible to keep your gallbladder because you could get it out and still have your symptoms but now you might have bathroom problems etc..

• Posted

Thanks for all of the comments! I had a fatty and big meal tonight, and have been fine, with the exception of feeling like I ate WAY to much. It's so unpredictable, which is why I wonder if it is even my gallbladder.

• Posted

I had to eat little and often and keep a food diary to try and find out what was kicking it off... boring i know... but it was the weirdest things that triggered it for me.. I couldnt eat bread unless it was gluten free . why? i dont know and i couldnt touch a jacket potato weird !!! but i could eat full fat yogurt.. crazy . 

Good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. Im having a hida scan on Monday. Ultrasound was normal. The odd thing is my pain is more on the left. It goes to the right at times but more to the left. The middle of my rib cage all the way to my belly button feels like it's on fire most the time but more in the afternoon into the evening. Lots of nausea. I've had GI tests and even acid reflux surgery thinking it was all related. I'm so discouraged about not getting answers and hurting for so long. Everything sounds like my gallbladder except the fact that the pain is on the left. I'm hoping someone reading this has had similar pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.