Gallbladder; inflammation, pericholecystic fluid and below normal EF.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi... any advice welcome!! Just a little background: I'm a 41 year old, healthy, mom of 3. Last week we were away and we went out for pizza. Within 5 minutes from standing up from the table to walking back to the hotel, I thought my stomach was going to burst. My whole abdomen hurt bc of the pressure. I was able to go to sleep that night. I chalked it up to intestinal gas/constipation. Woke up feeling ok and then after a few hours, I had a dull pain in the ruq ... nothing debilitating, but definitely there. The next day I decided to go to urgent care where we live bc every step I took felt jarring on my right side. It felt like I had a little filled balloon under my right ribs. No fever, no yellowing, just pain in ruq when pushed on. Had an ultrasound that came back saying my gb was inflamed and had fluid around it and that I need to go to the ER. Went straight to ER and docs said that since there were no gallstones and I wasn't in excruciating pain they didn't know what to do. Had a Hida test there and it showed that my EF was at 25%. After 8 hrs at the ER, they released me telling me to follow up with a GI and a surgeon. Went to both who said I should have my gb removed. I'm meeting with one more surgeon tomorrow, but a week has passed and now I feel back to normal. I only feel a bruised feeling when I push on a certain spot on the right side of my abdomen. With the ER docs saying that I am a rare case.... the way they explained it to me: I have classic symptoms of gb issues, but no gallstones and I was not in acute pain... which made me not an emergency in a very crowded ER. Would love to have one more ultrasound before having surgery ... ER docs gave me a low dose of morphine before the Hida test.... could that have made my EF below normal?what if the gb is back to normal? Could it be just intestinal issues? Should I wait and see? Im in denial that my body might be failing me and I don't want to rush into surgery.... what would you do?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago tomorrow after I was admitted with acute pancreatitis which is caused by alcohol or issues with your gall bladder and since I am not a drinker they said it must be my gall bladder. I had an ultrasound and they found no gallstones but said I should still have it removed and the sooner the better.

I'd had no classic signs of gall stones or inflammation but had a few episodes of severe stomach cramps and nausea after dinner followed by diarrhoea which felt like food poisoning but it kept happening about once a week in the weeks before I was admitted with severe abdominal pain which was the pancreatitis.

Anyway I had the surgery a few days after being admitted as they said I would continue to have issues otherwise. My pathology report came back showing thick bile and chronic inflammation so even though I had only had symptoms recently I've most likely had issues for a while and just didn't know.

The first few weeks after surgery were hard but I'm finally starting to feel a bit better and I'm glad I had it removed as now I won't need to worry in the future. So my advice would be if they say have it removed get it done as like lots of other posters you'll likely continue to have problems otherwise. Just make sure you give yourself time to recover. I was told it was minor surgery but it's not and it does take your body time to heal and adjust.

• Posted

Thank you for your response! I definitely don't want to mess around with multiple doctor's recommendation to have it out. I guess, since the answer isn't cut and dry it's hard to make the decision to have surgery. I'm just a nervous nelly! Happy to read that you are healing and feeling better! Thx again!

• Posted

Hi Rainorshine

It's surprisingly common for people to have no actual gallstones, but still have the symptoms you describe. Ultrasound doesn't always pick up stones. Sometimes the stones are so small, they are like sand: this is termed sludge. So it may be that sludge is causing the problems or your gallbladder may be diseased and that is why your EF is low.

What you describe after eating pizza is a classic gallbladder attack. I had the same after eating a chilli in a pub. I also thought my stomach was about to burst.

Your gallbladder is unlikely to go back to being normal. Eventually, days, weeks or months ahead, you will have more attacks, I'm afraid. Even eating a low fat diet will not work indefinitely.

Gallbladder attacks are horrendous. Putting off surgery can cause all sorts of issues: ruq pain and right sided shoulder pain that lasted for four days at a time during which I couldn't eat or sleep, nausea, sickness and diarrhoea, jaundice (I was in danger of septic shock), the gallbladder can rupture leading to peritonitis, liver and pancreas issues, exhaustion etc etc etc.

Here is one cautionary tale. I had open surgery to remove my gallbladder as there were numerous large stones lodged in my bile duct. Two weeks later I was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer found by the labs. Three weeks after this, I had a liver resection to remove tissue that had been in contact with my gallbladder. I have been very lucky: most gallbladder cancers aren't found in time and they found no metastasis. This having my gallbladder out may have saved my life but I will need checkups for at least five years.

So please do not put off surgery - you have three children to think about. Meantime eat a low fat diet - definitely no pizza for a while. These days most surgeries are done laparoscopically and are treated almost as routine and done in day surgery. Recovery is two to three weeks and the possibility of all those symptoms I listed disappears.

Sorry to be so to the point.

• Posted

That is scary that they found cancer! Happy to hear it was found early. Cancer is always in the back of my mind and that is why I am being proactive in getting these doc appts. Tomorrow, I will ask all of the questions with the surgeon and I am sure she will want to take it out as well. I guess, the sooner the better!

On another note, I have found that I am more lightheaded and tired since last week (when my attack happened) ... did you have these symptoms before you had your gb removed?

Thx again for your response!!

• Posted

Yes. I was extremely tired, but I wasn't getting much sleep during attacks. It is very draining. I also felt dizzy from time to time. I'd had lack of appetite for months before and awful night sweats. I knew something wasn't right but couldn't put my finger on exactly what. I'd have felt silly going to the docs with such vague symptoms. I'd been diagnosed previously with vit d deficiency and put the tiredness down to that. Also my cholesterol levels had shot up unaccountably. It turns out both vit d and cholesterol are linked to liver and gallbladder. In fact most gallstones are made from cholesterol. We should all listen more closely to our bodies.

I should have pointed out that gallbladder cancer is very rare. It's so rare here in the U.K., that they have no written protocol for treatment, so my surgeon is playing it by ear. I've not had to have chemo as the margins appear to be clear following the resection. I will get CT scans six monthly.

At 67, I'm very fit and active otherwise. The gallbladder issue came out of the blue. I didn't think I was a candidate for it as, although I'd put on weight that I didn't seem to be able to shift, I'd always eaten healthily, avoiding fats and sugary foods and I was even vegetarian for a number of years. I also don't drink alcohol and I've never smoked. I do wonder if a sick gallbladder causes people to put weight on as they're unable to digest fats properly? And not the converse: that being overweight causes gallstones.

Please do think this over carefully.

• Posted

Hi I'm due to have my GB removed in two days time very nervous and still keep wanting to cancel even at this late stage. I only get flare ups after eating take away good so very rare but I have had constant right rib ache since end October 2016. Ultrasound at Xmas showed Gallstones. I don't get all the classic symptoms and feel healthy and fine hence why I keep wanting to cancel surgery .. But after reading the comments to your discussion I know the best option is to get removed as could be other under lying issues. Just real nervous .. Fingers crossed all be ok

• Posted

It sounds like we both need to just do it!! The comment about the possibility of it being cancer (even though rare) makes me want to hightail it to the surgeon right now and ask her to schedule me for this evening... I will be thinking about you in these next few days. Even though, there will be some recovery afterwards, it sounds like a straightforward surgery. You may be one of those that bounces right back within dayssmile!
    • Posted

Hi Victoria

Can I just say I know five others who've had this surgery and all recovered well, so please try not to worry. The vast majority have no issues after this surgery. Most people who post here are the unfortunate few. Many have other issues with their health that complicates their recovery.

Most takeaways are very high in fat so that is probably why you cannot tolerate them. With me, even a moderate amount of fat caused pain. I even began to have attacks when I was eating a very low fat diet. Your illness could well progress to that point given time if you don't have surgery.

• Posted

Arh thank you... I am nervous just had a little cry this morning but all be ok I'm certain. Roll on tomorrow x

• Posted

I know I'm doing the right thing I'm just a little scared which I'm certain is normal at this stage. Roll on surgery tomorrow .. X

• Posted

Tell them how scared you are at the hospital tomorrow. You'll find you are not alone in that. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.