Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have found that crackers or something small to eat will help the pain. and yes stay away from fatty foods and coke. Not all soda does it to me, but coke does. I was just drinking a glass and had an attack. I go to the dr next week. This has ben going on for almost 20 years since i had my gallbladder out. I hope there is an answer. No one else has ever found anything. Im tired of hurting.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Did you went to the doctor? Any news about the pain? I'm having the same pains since my gallbladder surgery (February)

Doctors can not find the cause of my pain. This is drive me crazy. 

• Posted

Hello,

You have described EXACTLY the problem I have. Have you find any answer, please?

This pain is drive me unsane. I had a liver biopsy about a month ago looking for answers. However, doctors can not tell me what's wrong.

• Posted

I was having a sharp pain below my breast in the middle. It seems to only come at night time. It can become so painful I have went to the ER. They have done mutiple test on me and decided it was my gallbladder. I had that removed about a year ago, but that pain still comes back. I don't know what else to do and I don't feel like having a lot of more test done. Has anybody had this same pain and figured out what it was? The doctors also tell me their is nothing wrong but this pain is pretty bad so something has to be going on.

• Posted

I have the same problem. Doctor's can not find the cause of my pain. All my blood works were negative exept AMA M2 and liver enzyme little elevated. They though I had PBC but I need to have some other test positive to confirm it. 
    • Posted

It is just frustrating I don't know why they can't find out what is wrong. Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem.
  • Posted

Hi there! I had my gallbladder removed in September 2015 and I am still having problems. I am having the same pain the radiates into my back almost on a daily basis. I may have a good week here and there. I'm currently going through some blood work, but it is a waiting game.

One thing that my surgeon did say to me is that my symptoms sounded like it was my sphincter of odi. Strange name, I know! He said the symptoms mimic each other and there are not many surgeons who specialize in this. A surgeon will not even look at you until your gallbladder is removed.

I can't wait to find out what is causing my pain. It puts me down sometimes and I have always been an active person.

• Posted

I am curious how can you work while your feeling pain ? I am doing waiting game also
    • Posted

I just make myself go. Today was not a good day and I did come home from work. I just have to make myself go.
    • Posted

I worked 2 months with pain attacks. Some weekends I went straight to emerg for pain relief. I remember surviving on cucumbers and tomatoes and feeling so tired. I slept in my car at lunch. It was a very hard time in my life, but I had to do it. Lost 30 pounds.
  • Posted

Hi. I was wondering if anyone who has suffered from gallbladder attacks, experienced shortness of breath and dizziness as well?
    • Posted

When I did have my gallbladder (before removal 4 years ago) I did indeed have shortness of breath during the attacks.  It felt like an elphant was sitting on my upper back.  No dizziness that I could recalled though.
  • Posted

It strikes me that removal of the GB in some cases is done in error when the real problem is SOD................surgeons are reluctant to admit to it for legal reasons. A test for SOD is to consume a very fatty meal and if you experience very intense pain get blood tests done immediately for AMA M2 and liver enzyme elevations. I stress that the tests must be done during the pain period.
    • Posted

Hi gerryc

Does everyone get the SOD after gallbladder removal even years after surgery? Beacuse I still have pain after four years but it's not after consuming fatty food. I tested this on purpose to see what triggers the pain. Still couldn't find out. Recently I think it might be a nerve that was damaged during the surgery.

But this SOD freaks me out. Beacuse I hear that many gets it even years after surgery. So that's why I want to know if you don't have it at the first or second year of the surgery then is it possible to not to get it at all?

By the way, I went to many GI doctors due to the pain how come none mentioned about those two tests that you talked about. I just don't understand how did they get their degrees.

• Posted

SOD is very rare on those who still have their gallbladders but not so for those of us who have had ours removed.  After 4 years of felling great (after my gallbladder removed), the pains came back.  After a myriad of tests and nothing to point the finger to, my doctor mentioned SOD.  I haven't had any tests for it though being that I'm currently dealing with a kidney stone issue but, to be honest, ever since I've gone back to a low-fat diet I haven't had any issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.