Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Think if this persists I will be making an appointment with the doctor with a view to seeing the surgeon who was there during the initial operation.
  • Posted

so sick and tired. was feeling better but had two awfully painful days. i dont take pain meds for this ,ill wait till i get the endo and colon-oscopy done. if they tell me everything looks fine then i dont care ill start taking pain meds. this pain is ridiculous.
    • Posted

I think I can help you with the back pain!  I had my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy) two years ago and still have pain after eating foods high in cholesterol and hydrogenated fats and other processed foods.  I try to only eat whole foods but sometimes I mess up.  When I get my "phantom gallbladder pain" I can get rid of it almost instantly by lying on my stomach on the floor and placing a tennis ball below my right breast (not ON the breast but BELOW it).  It will feel like it's on a rib.  I gently place some of my body weight on the ball and rib and roll my body around so that the tennis ball massages the crampy area.  I came up with this on my own and I know it sounds weird but it works for me instantly!  My pain refers to the back and shoulder blade but after I do this massage technique it goes away completely.  I also will turn over onto my back and place the tennis ball near my shoulder blade and spine and put a lot of my body weight on it and roll around so the tennis ball loosens up all those muscles.  This seems to help too, but not as much as massaging front rib area with the ball.  I hope you get this comment and get some instant relief!    Please copy and paste this to other people suffering.  NO doctor has ever been able to help me.  My surgeon was NOT helpful either after he removed my gallbladder and acted like I was imagining it.  Go get yourself a tennis ball.  Let me know if it works for you too.

• Posted

Has anyone tried antidepressants for this kind of pain?

I have been precribed some,but haven't taken any yet.

Also wanted to say,I have had great relief with using the TENS machine daily,I use it for one hour and it helps tremendously.

• Posted

What is the TENS machine???

So many accronyms these days I can't keep track....Please use the sentence and put the accronym in parenthesis if possible.  It would be SO helpful.  Thank you!  smile

• Posted

Hi everyone

I had my GB removal 3 weeksago as well as a hernia repair. Day surgery and went back home. I got severe pain during the night and had to have another operation as they tought the clip had fallen off. Funny thing was that there was not really anything wrong and they don't know why I had that pain.The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that I still had that pain and have had ever since. I can't drive a car which means I can't go to work and have pain for most of the day. Funny thing is that I was better off with my gallstones as I hardly had any probem with it. The ony reason I did it was becausewe wanted a 2nd baby. Now I am in more agony than before and from your posts it looks like I have to live with it. I had a scan today and there is nothing wrong exceptthat my coon has moved where my gallbadder was. It feels food related though Doctorat hospital tod me that is not possible. Also is related to my bowles and it can also be on my left side.. can be first thing in the morning as well. Gets worse thoughout the day. They should tell you these things before you have the OP. There is a procedure by which the gallstones are destroyed though waves without removing the gallbadder but my consultant told me can't have that.

Does anyone of you have noticed any specific foods that make it worse or that are safe to eat? (except fatty and surgary foods)

• Posted

elifsara,

Thanks so much for that very interesting article.

• Posted

I had my op back in June 2010, and I still get short, but full blown phantom gallstone attacks, and because it's phantom I just have to ride it through. They last about an hour, but it is as if I'd never had the op sometimes. Thankfully these are getting fewer and fewer now.

I also have a dull ache where the GB used to be, its bearable, but it does make me shift around a lot trying to get comfy, or grip my side. I could do without it. The thing I found helps the most, is having porridge in the morning with added Flaxseed - this puts a lot of fibre in the gut and absorbs bile, and having higher fibre products in my diet the rest of the day. And also drinking a glass a day of fresh (not concentrated) Apple juice. The Apple Juice is what bought about the biggest change. I have more pain when I don't have these every day, than when I do. It is commonly known about the Apple Juice being helpful, though they don't know why, and I like it, so it was a win win for me.

If you have bad pain, you can get checked to see if you are leaking Bile from the tied off/clipped off/cauterised tubes that used to connect the Gall Bladder. This can also cause a dull and persistent ache.

• Posted

I think I can help you with the back pain!  I had my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy) two years ago and still have pain after eating foods high in cholesterol and hydrogenated fats and other processed foods.  I try to only eat whole foods but sometimes I mess up.  When I get my "phantom gallbladder pain" I can get rid of it almost instantly by lying on my stomach on the floor and placing a tennis ball below my right breast (not ON the breast but BELOW it).  It will feel like it's on a rib.  I gently place some of my body weight on the ball and rib and roll my body around so that the tennis ball massages the crampy area.  I came up with this on my own and I know it sounds weird but it works for me instantly!  My pain refers to the back and shoulder blade but after I do this massage technique it goes away completely.  I also will turn over onto my back and place the tennis ball near my shoulder blade and spine and put a lot of my body weight on it and roll around so the tennis ball loosens up all those muscles.  This seems to help too, but not as much as massaging front rib area with the ball.  I hope you get this comment and get some instant relief!    Please copy and paste this to other people suffering.  NO doctor has ever been able to help me.  My surgeon was NOT helpful either after he removed my gallbladder and acted like I was imagining it.  Go get yourself a tennis ball.  Let me know if it works for you too.

• Posted

Hi all. New to this site after doing some research.

Brief bit of history on my condition, it may help some of you with similar issues!

Sept 2009- right upper quadrant pains, radiating through to the kidney. Pain worsened by fatty foods and spicy foods. Not worsened by alcohol.

In and out of hospital September 09 thru to march 2010. Blood tests revealed high liver count, ultrasound, MRI and ct scans showed no stones or pancreatic damage. Was diagnosed with alcohol induced pancreatitis despite not drinking for 6 months.

No pain for 6 months.

Back in hospital nov 2010 thru to May 2011. Was diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia in April 2011, only through my own protest- I refused to be discharged until I had a diagnosis.

I had my gall bladder removed July 2011- on removal this was black and shrivelled. It was sent for testing to ensure no cancerous cells- this came back clear, it was just highly damaged through misdiagnosis.

Pain free for 3 months then the pain creeped back. December 2011 through to feb/march 2012 in and out of hospital for pain relief, no further diagnosis. May 2012 diagnosed with "SPHINCTER OF ODDI" and was told I would be put on the list for Botox injected Into the ampulla muscle. Had this done endoscopically nov 2012. Relief of pain for 2 weeks. This was deemed successful and was put on the list of a biliary sphincterotomy. I had this jan 2013. Relief for 2 months. Was told to wait another month to see if it eased. It didn't. Put on the list again for a further sphincterotomy and possible sphincteroplasty. Had this done September 2013. 1 week later had a flare up which put me back in hospital and off work for 4/5 weeks. Now because surgery hasn't worked I have been put on two new medications 1- donperidone, 2- sucralfate. These seem to be working VERY well! Back at the hospital end of nov for review.

This is a condition for life. Psychologically I have gotten used to the idea of being on meds for ever.

Hope my story helps some people with unanswered questions. Remember persistence is key! Don't take no for an answer!!

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Happyalien - Thanks for starting this post. The pain you describe is similar to what I've been experiencing for the past 3-4 years. It's gotten progressively more intense more often, but rarely moves up to my shoulder.My gastroenterologist believes it is nerve pain rather than a gallbladder issue and has recommended shots, novocaine then a steroid, to see if it will settle the nerve. He said he's seen success with this route for other patients so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    • Posted

• Posted

I just wanted to say that I have decided not to take any meds that the doctor prescribed (lyrica and noritriptyline),I am doing accupuncture and using a TENS machine daily. I have found great relief from my pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.