Gallbladder issues??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys, Im in a bit of a rut..

So since 09 I have had incidents where I get pain in my central upper abdomen (maye 1,5-2 inches above belly button). Usually its shortly after a meal, but sometimes it does creep up on me a few hours post meal. It varies in severity and duration. In the beginning I only had it once/twice a year, but the pain was very bad for 4-7 hours. Fast forward to 2011 I started having these incidents like every 4 months, but with less pain. In 2014 I had an incident every month, but pain again was less. Here in 2016, it seems to be going backwards. I have incidents every 2 months or so. The pain is far from what it was in 09, but its still painful (its a dull squeezing kind of pain). I have recently found out that drinking Apple Cider Vinegar during an attack, will make it go away within 15-20 minutes. Leaving me with a tender spot under my right ribcage for around 24 hours. (Tender to touch). 

When an attack is present, even though the pain is in my center, it is under my right ribcage that is very tender to touch. It also kinda shoots a pain towards the center, where the constant pain is.

Stools have also been acting weird. Switching between brown/yellowish-brown in color and consistency is mainly normal, but also range between somewhat loose/normal/hard. It seems like I might have trouble digesting fats, as I get diarrhea/loose stool if I eat too much in one meal.

I have had two ultrasounds of my abdomen in the last 5-6 months or so, an endoscopy and a colonoscopy, + bloodwork (incl. enzyme levels) all came back clear. Scheduled for a third US soon... Which I doubt will show anything new..

Could it be my gallbladder that is not functioning well? I was amazed when I felt the ACV helping. 

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tom, After reading your story very carefully it sounds like you have been suffering from this condition for many years. It's important to not give up looking for a diagnosis. This is your health and precious to protect. Some day a doctor will go that extra mile to find exactly the cause, diagnosis and prognosis. This will bring extraordinary relief for you.

Just to relate a bit of my experience it took nearly 10 years and 8 doctors to find the cause of my pain from a gallstone caught in the bile duct. Even the ER thought the symptoms presented was a heart attack. Thank heavens it was not. Sent home from the ER many times with pain meds and never a diagnosis. After a few more years and attacks the gastrointerologist showed me the X-ray of the stone caught in the bile duct, blocking the bile and function of the gallbladder. It's out and I am glad that I never gave up to find the answer for my pain.

This may not be the same causation in your case however I want to encourage you to never give up finding your answer to your pain.

When I experienced pain from gallstones it was so unbearable I literally could not breathe. The pain went from my right front side around to my back under my shoulder blade behind the rib area. Every breath was a screamer. 

The pain I described I later learned are the classic symptoms of gallstones. Yet it was missed for many years. I was told everything from go read self help books to see shrinks and that the pain was all in my head. Until one caring gastrointerologist said "the pain was not all in my head , it was all in my gallbladder". Then pointed out the stones. Finally!

Apple cider vinegar is the fermented juice of crushed apples. It contains acetic acid and nutrients such as B vitamins and vitamin C. Apple cider vinegar might help lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes by changing how foods get absorbed from the gut. Apple cider vinegar might prevent the breakdown of some foods

Eat a healthy diet fresh foods only to eliminate any issues with wheat, corn or celiac disease and allergies. Keep a written journal of the foods you eliminate then if your better could be some foods in your current diet. Of course no alcohol for obvious reasons. 

Drinking ACV is very acidic. Apple cider vinegar is the fermented juice of crushed apples. It contains acetic acid and nutrients such as B vitamins and vitamin C. Apple cider vinegar might help lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes by changing how foods get absorbed from the gut. Apple cider vinegar might prevent the breakdown of some foods, and also has helped many with skin rashes. There are many benefits for drinking ACV. 

It's helping you there might be a reason. 

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. When do you finally say enough is enough, ya know. I'm so sorry your going thru this. 

Kind Regards,TC&GB

H4C

• Posted

Hi H4C

10 years! Did you have a blocked duct for 10 years?? That is just insane! I am so sorry you had to go for so long with problems. But are you feeling ok now?

I am trying not to give up, but it seems like the doctors are willing to just throw in the towel. I would really like an MRCP or a Hida scan, but cant seem to get it. They are convinced that it is not my GB or pancreas.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

no the duct was not blocked for ten years that's the result of not identifying the stones in the gallbladder for all those years. The stones grow over the years and move with the bile until eventually one became lodged in the bile duct. It was very painful. I felt like the attacks were so obvious the classic signs of stones. It started at 19 years old. 

Crazy the things that we deal with while trying to find answers to health problems. 

TC&GB

• Posted

Hi Tom all of your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine and I had a stone blocking the bile duct and had my gallbladder removed in Jan after suffering symptoms for about 8 years slowly building to extreme pain. Try a low fat diet as this should help loads     Good Luck and hope you find the answers soon.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa!

How do you feel now your gallbladder has been removed? Eight years is a long time to be in pain!

Hope youre doing well now!

• Posted

I know Tom tell me about it lol , It started of with a pain under my ribs and as I have a family history of cancer that was the main concern and after all my scans came back clear they told me it was athritis of my chest wall , so as it gradually got worse I just put it down to getting older. It wasnt until last year when the pain became unbearable and my work colleauges convinced me to use my private medical ins to get it checked again that It all went full speed ahead . I had a scan went back to see the consultant the following week and he admitted me on the spot , to be honest I didnt realise how sick I was. Now that Ive had the op Im out of pain most days but like most of the others here have good and bad days with food  but if Im totally honest Ive yoyo dieted for all of my adult life so Ive done myself no favours but onwards and upwards, glad to be here and relatively healthy and a bit slimmer Lol    Hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hi Tom so you still got your gallbladder? I have had mine removed and 7 years later I am getting the same pain as you describe. And bowl movements is the same. The pain is bad can last from 4hours to 24 hours. I had to eliminate foods stay clear from fatty food stick to a Mediterranean diet. Also I found what works is some enzyme tablets for my digestive system. Have they checked if you got stones?

• Posted

Hello Anca.

I am sorry that you are still suffering. Have you had your pancreas looked at?

I have been checked for stones via Ultrasound, twice. Nothing has been found =/

• Posted

I think you are passing gall stones. My attacks were like that.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies!

Since I have had two ultrasounds of my abdomen, they seem pretty certain that it is not gallstones which is the problem (They always said that I had none) but the US might have missed them? Could it be sludge?

• Posted

Hi, TomJohn, sorry to hear that you're having these problems.  It seems to me that you might have gallbladder issues as well as a small hernia.  Hernias can cause pressure and pain as well. I have a small hiatal hernia that I've had for at least 12 years.  I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy that did not reveal it. Also, sometimes ultrasounds don't pick up gallstones.  I think it depends on a lot of factors, including the tech running the machine.  A CT scan is usually more  accurate, but not allways. Sometimes small stones and sludge just don't show up.  I had a CT scan last year that found the hernia, which was a relief, because though my gallbladder was removed in 2009, I still have issues with pressure and pain as I said above. A hida scan can reveal info about your gallbladder's release of bile and is another helpful test. If the liquid surrounding your stools is yellow, then you have too much bile being released into your small intestine by your gallbladder.  If your stool contents are chemically tested, they can show up as normal, but of course the surrounding bile isn't collected for analysis.  Keeping to a low fat diet helps, because when you eat too much fat you are taxing your gallbladder and entire digestive system.  Hope this helps and let us know how you do.      
  • Posted

I am getting another ultrasound of my abdomen next week. I will report back. I doubt they will find anything though.
  • Posted

So I had my third ultrasound. Again the radiologist told me nothing was wrong and all organs looked fine (Pancreas, gallbladder etc.) told me that I have an excessive amound of gas in my colon though (which could indicate gallbladder issue?)

Anyway, today I had a very very mild attack. I ate lunch, then two hours later I had a diet coke, then it started. Lasted for only two hours, and the pain was so mild, but still there though. Tenderness under right ribcage again, that went away after drinking Apple Cider Vinegar.

• Posted

Hi, Tomjohn, I think that the quote, "nothing was wrong...all looked fine" doesn't coincide with what you are experiencing.  Ultrasounds and sometimes even CT scans don't always pick up gallstones or sludge in the gallbladder.  You might ask for a hida scan, which will indicate how much bile your gallbladder is releasing in response to fat.   Also, carbonated beverages like diet coke will give you digestive troubles.  I have had my gallbladder out and still need to avoid them.  Best of luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.