Gallbladder issues - symptoms bothering me

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a raging hypochongriac, so bear with me.

I've been having upper abdominal discomfort, next to the right breastbone, and the occasion blip of pain on the lower right ribs. Ache seems constant in the chest, sometimes creeps up the right side of my neck  and back right shoulder. Occasionally these areas seem to burn.

I've started the process of getting tested for gallbladder disease and hopefully have the results this Wednesday. Had an ultrasound two weeks ago, but the holidays have delayed the results.

I'm worried, because recently my stools have switched colors from normal, to clay, to light tan. They tend to run the gamut. Additionally, I've started to itch around my wrist, elbows and ankles (not persistant, but comes and goes... so anxiety, maybe or weather)

I made a trip to the emergency room a few weeks bad for an attack that bothered me and they did a liver function test that was all normal and well as blood levels.

I have an unnatural fear of it being something so malicious...

Just looking for comfort and wondering if anyone else had to handle these similar issues with their gallbladder.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

you have a wheat allergy. Stop eating Gluten. No more scratching. Try it for a week. Do not eat anything that contains wheat or Gluten in it. Read each and every label.

Let me know. That's the answer.

• Posted

I haven't considered a wheat allergy. Although, my arm seems as though they may have slight been breaking out a few days ago. It was hard to tell.

Would a wheat allergy explain the chest or side pain? The pain sensation, thought not debiliating, is dull and constant.

I'll try and eliminate wheat and see if that may help. 

Thanks for your input.

• Posted

sounds to me very much like gall bladder pain. not saying its not a wheat allergy as well as lots of us dont realize that we have an alergy to wheat. but all the symptoms you describe sound lilke gall bladder stones, and the stools switiching colour.when i started the pains and even was confirmed to have one large gallstone i was still convinced that it must be something else as i had so many symptoms.also the burning is symptom i had. at first my liver function test came back with raisedwhite blood cells as i had an infection. i got anti biotics and now my liver function test is perfect.iv not had the itching..but have had everything else except change of stool colour but have read a lot about otheres having that. good luck and try not to worry. im a worryier myself. but this gall bladder things causes so many symptoms i think surely it has to be something else. but its not is gall stone. i do hope that this is some comfort to you. all the very best and keep us informed of how you get on as we are here for each other. we are all in this together. love cheeky🌺🌹
    • Posted

Thanks for the reassurance. My side, chest, and shoulder has ached all day and gotten worse as the day progressed. It seems to have hit a high note and is ebbing back down. Laying propped up on this pillow seems to be helping.

Hopefully Wednesday I get some good news.

• Posted

I had the itching, pain below right rib, back pain and tightness in chest and was diagnosed with gallstones last week. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just try and relax and some symptoms will subside. Also watch your diet.
    • Posted

Thanks.

I'm not jaundice, so that's good. Just feels weird to itch the way I do. Its not intense just comes and goes. I'm trying to cut fat in my diet.

Girlfriend is keeping me calm.

Thanks again.

• Posted

yes i agree. it can get worse as the day goes on.  i find lying flat helpfull as im not slouching my ribs into my stomach. if you know what i mean. as its hard to sit up very straight. i think it is better at the start of the day as we have been lying flat all night. and also we have not eaten. i see you have  good advice about carefull diet. no fat if possible or as littel as possible and try not to worry. love again cheeky.😴😴
  • Posted

Bullet409, I had back pain and symptoms you describe all this last summer,(last 6 months) I was have attacks about once a week for a few months, (Sept-Oct). Until one brought me into Er it was so bad. There I was disgnosed with gallstone, sludge, and wall thickening , indicating inflammation.  I sheduled a surgery date fro Nov. I  also got an  appt with a natureopathic doctor  for a natural route of treating. She got me onto some supplements and stricter food diet that helped alot. It actually helped my overall health, as in lowering my cholesterol down to normal points.  But, about 2 weeks, my gallbladder symtoms reared up, gradually worsening around the holidays,(and richer foods).  I landed back into Er Christmas eve for 3 hours, for pain relief.  I was throwing up terrible, of bile and food. Until I had dry heaves.   Did lab work, and labs were generally all normal. Got sent home with painreilvers, after they gave me IV pain med. Had Christmas day at home, but by evening still didnt feel well.  By Sat. I could hardly move from the couch or bed. Kept trying to take pain meds they gave me .  Nothing was helping for more than a hour or so. By Sunday, I went back into ER.  They did labs and a cat scan.  Labs showed high white blood cells(meaning infection) and scan showed inflamed gallbladder. I got admitted to the hosital. I was on round the clock IVs for anitbiotics and painrelievers, I was so miserable, I thought I would die.  I couldnt wait to have it out by then.  I finally got it out on Monday afternoon laposcopically.  I had to spend one more night in the hospital. Which I was thankful being I was in such pain from the infection.  Today, I got out, and yes I am in pain, but nothing near the pain experiencing with a bad gb that went into infection. The worse thing I did was postpone that surgery that I had  in Nov. I started joining forums and pages that encouraged keeping the gb at any cost. I disagree. Yes, if you catch your symptoms early enough,you maybe can turn it around. Either way, we need to make food changes before or after. I realize my foods may be touchy after with digestion. But, I had to before to, foods werent agreeing. I plan on again consulting with ND, to help me with digestive need supplements without gb.  All in all, even in recovery. I dont have hardly and back and rib pain anymore. Just the tenderness of the incisions from surgery. Little nausea yet. But I am hoping in a week or two, I will be a much better person. I am not sorry I got the surgery. It beats the attacks and backaches.  Sorry this got so long,, Good luck to YOU!
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing. Back and shoulder have ached most of the day, but the chest finally relented.

Hopefully tomorrow I have some positive answers and start feeling better.

• Posted

Glad you have finally got rid of the blasted thing. You will feel a lot better.

Take care and keep in touch

HAPPY NEW GALLBLADDERLESS YEAR!

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thanks for everyone's input and support. I've heard back from my doc and he confirmed that I have no gallstones from the ultrasound.

He has scheduled a HIDA scan for next week. I feel better knowing the ball is rolling and some symptoms have subsided. Trying to keep my diet low fat in hopes that it will help.

So I guess it will be a sludge or malfunctioning gallbladder?

Any pointers on diet? I've heard that it's really person dependent, but obviously low or no fat.

Thanks everyone!

• Posted

HI DEAR. im not sure if thats good news or waht. as if no gall stones what on earth is causing the pain, maybe sluge and just malfuncitoning gall bladder as you say. gall stones can be in the gall bladder and then disolve you know thats what all those gallstone flush things are about. getting the gall sones out and/or dissovling them. so maybe they have disolved into sludge. any way as you say dear the ball is in motion and thats the most important thing as it can takes such a long time to reach the actuall day  for surgery.eat no fat on meat and i dont eat dairy except eggs. so i  would have no butter or marg  or yogurt. i do use a small amount of peanut butter but its not roasted nut butter its a very good one as made as natural as possible as roasting them makes the butter more greasy.i would just be carefull with meat. butter marg yogurts and cheeses would be out for me. i eat a lot of porridge and home made soup with lentils wich are all good for you. good luck and let us know what happens after the HIDA scan oh and happy new year.💐🌹😀so glad that some of your symptoms have subsided.🌷
  • Posted

Just had the HIDA scan. Had some intense pain around the rib chest region for a minute or two. Thought I'd puke.

My shoulder, chest, and side are aching and slightly spastic now.

Watched the ultrasound going on and the tech said my gallbladder never disappeared from scan. So it may not be emptying correctly or sludge? Just postulation. Should have results in a few days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.