Gallbladder low function and polyp causing constipation or other way around?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Six years ago I had an anxiety flare up with twitching on my skin then I had constipation issues at the age of 32. Before that I never had constipation issues ever. I always felt cleaned out by the end of the day and my stools were always well formed, solid, and healthy. Fast forward a few months later I had my first ever gallbladder attack with pain on my right side. I went for a hidascan which showed a low functioning gallbladder and 2 polyps. After that I was told to just monitor every 6 months to monitor the polyps. I was apprehensive about removing a whole organ. However the constipation persists and I never fully defecate or some days not at all until the next day. I go to bed feeling blocked up. I tried various kinds of probiotics that never worked and other natural remedies.The doc didn't seem to think the gallbladder was the issue. Has anyone tried anything to remove their polyps or believe the gallbladder caused constipation or the other way around? If you had a constipation problem before finding out your gallbladder was bad and surgically removed it did it solve your constipation problem?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to see a gastroenterologist, or are you seeing a gp?  You might need to have a colonoscopy.  A low functioning gallbladder can cause constipation in some people. I am curious why you are "monitoring" every 6 months.  Did your doctor say anything about whether the polyps could become cancerous?  If you are in the UK, even if you are "fast tracked" to surgery, that might entail a much longer wait than necessary. xx

• Posted

I've been to 2 gastroenterologists and changed gp's a few times since then. They do not blame my gallbladder for the constipation and dismiss my anxiety. However, I know anxiety can exacerbate symptoms and I wonder if that is what happened. Well the monitoring is to see if they increase to a size that would require removal of gallbladder if they get to a size that is malignant. Otherwise they have no other way of knowing if they are or are not. I am not in the US. I haven't had an attack since then however and that was about 5 yrs ago, not 6.

• Posted

Sorry, meant to say I am in the US.
    • Posted

The waiting cannot be providing you with much comfort. I must confess that I don't know much about gallbladder polyps, but it seems to me that the doctors have been saying that if the polyps start growing rapidly, they could be malignant.  I don't understand that point of view, because cancer's not that "simple."  They're not oncologists, are they?  

How long has it been since you last saw a doctor and the polyps on your gallbladder were measured? 

• Posted

Hi Sweetbee,

I had constipation for years and then found out I had gallstones and a very sick gallbladder. Since having it out I have been much more regular. I think it was all to do with my gallbladder. Some people get diarrhoea and some get constipation before. It has solved the problem getting it removed. Hope you get it sorted. 

Claire x

• Posted

Interesting. Has removing your gallbladder cured constipation meaning you went as you did before having constipation issues? Have you tried digestive enzymes before removing your gallbladder for the constipation? I have not had any pain since that time 5 yrs ago but the constipation is what bothers me a lot. I have read that some people get worse after gallbladder removal (pain) or they always have diarrhea.
  • Posted

Hi,

I never tried digestive enzymes. I was so constipated that I only went once a week by taking lots of laxitives. I do have a spinal condition as well that could be affecting it more than someone else tho.  But it was most severe the last few years when I had my gallbladder problems. It may be the case that people get lots of diahorea but for me with such severe constipation  it had made me more regular.  It is certainly for me the one good thing to come out of all this. 

• Posted

Hello,

I have a gallbladder function at 31% and have chronic constipation for almost 8 months. I am getting my gallbladder removed tomorrow morning due to severe pain and it is good to know that you became more regular after. I can not live off of laxatives anymore. I am hoping I will too become more regular after this operation. 

• Posted

I've had constipation problems for many years.and it was bad after gallbladder surgery.  Many things can throw my system off  I now take miralax and a probiotic every evening.  It has helped a lot.I also drink dandelion tea in the morning. I hope you can find something to help.  I  know how miserable it can be..  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.