Gallbladder Medication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello 

New to this site.  After suffering excrutiating pain two nights on the trot, being on all fours unable to string a sentence together being so short of breath and finally to top it all being violently sick I went to the walk in clinic and was seen stry own GP on aight away by a GP who diagnosed the pain was my Gallbladder and has said should the pain persist or get any worse ( I have to say I dont believe it can as I have never felt pain like it and I consider myself to be a pretty tough cookie) I am to get to hospital and they should remove it.  I have to go back and see my ownGP on Monday and have an ultrasound.  I have some questions -

1. I ave been prescribed Naproxen has any body else been prescribed this and is it effective for the pain.  

2.  Is it likely should I have to go to hospital how likely is it that they will remove my Gallbladder. 

3.  After having an ultrasound and if it confirms it is my Gallbladder would I automatically be put on a list to have it removed.

4. Can you have the operation under local aneasthetic or does it have to be a general.  

5. To prevent another episode can this be achieved through diet and if so what are the recommendations for this.  

6.  Can diet avoid operation.

I would hate to experience this again and would rather get this under control and manage it myself rather than have an operation, if that is possible.

I would appreciate any help in this area.

Many thanks

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Minnie, the diet information was really helpful.  I've no gallbladder now, but I do prefer to eat low fat when I can.  I also make "stew" out of sirloin steak, carrots and chopped potatoes with beef broth.  Cooks in about 40 minutes.  I also use a bit of onion, but not too much!  smile
    • Posted

I miss beef skirt for stews and I miss lamb so much!! Especially this time of year. I used to make a lot of stews and beef and ale pie was one of my favorites. I love cooking. I wonder if I'll ever be able to eat normally again.
    • Posted

It's so frustrating!  But there are benefits to low fat.  I had to consider how sick I was before I started to reduce it.  You're healther now, if that helps!  biggrin
    • Posted

Yeah and to be honest I needed to be 😶 my problem is that I enjoy food and good home cooking. Although it has helped me being on the gallbladder diet. I don't know how I would cope if I didn't know or understand what is ok and what isn't.
    • Posted

I had to grow up, lots.  I kept eating what I felt like eating too long!  I do think that you're correct.  You need to educate yourself, especially because with the way medicine is now--you have to be your own advocate.  Let us know how you're doing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.