Gallbladder misery 😔

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm currently waiting on surgery to have my gallbladder removed. Pre op assessment is next week. Over the past few months the pain and attacks have become more frequent. Is there anyone else that suffers abdominal pain, lower right sided pain and lower back pain with it all? Along with constipation? Also discomfort can last up to 2wks at a time!! I have myself tortured something else is wrong aswell as being terrified of the pending surgery.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello, are you sure it's your gallbladder? The pain that you are describing sounds like appendix. If gallbladder then pain would be upper back and shoulder and pain under ribs. Pain radiates from left to right sometimes. Are you very nauseous? Vomiting everyday? Just wondering sor

• Posted

Hi, Thank you for your reply. No, definitely gallstones. Although it does worry me something else is going on.

• Posted

Trust me - you are not overreacting. I had all of the above you mentioned. I even said goodbye to my kids thinking i was going to die.However, I was fortunate that on my second attack they found my gallbladder so badly inflamed that they did an emergency op. Removing that thing was the best thing in the world!

I had the op 4 weeks ago and was recovering well until i felt so great that i started doing housework etc and had overdone it and must have pulled an internal stitch and am now taking it easy.

Honestly, the pain you're feeling is horrible and my GP said it is the worst of all pain recorded but rest assured you would be relieved when it's gone

Take care

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I swear I'm going out of my mind with worry that something else is going on. So you had the lower back pain, belly pain and lasting for 2wks sometimes aswell? I've been waiting 4yrs to have mine removed and it's finally happening next month.....terrified is an understatement!! Thank you again for being so kind and taking the time to reply x

• Posted

Hi fifipompom

Yes, I was diagnosed with having gallstones after I complained of lower back pain 5 years ago. But because the stones were small and my gallbladder was not inflamed they said there was no reason to do anything about it. But I was constantly bloated and having belly pain and lower back pain all the time. Yoga helped me tremendously though. The GP wouldn't relate any of the pain or bloating to the gallstones and they said it was gluten intolerance instead.

I know how terrifying it is. When I had the first attack, I was vomiting blood and they took me to surgery immediately but I refused to do it despite all the pain I was in. I'm 45 and my daughter and my husband were both forcing me to have the surgery but I refused because I was terrified. So the IV antibiotics worked and I was in hospital for 10 days. I was out for less than a month when I had the next attack and this time it was so bad I thought I was going to die. So I had the surgery immediately.

Believe me, the thought of going under the knife is scary. And the first few days after the surgery I thought "why did I go from the frying pan to the fire?" but once the pain of the surgery wears off, you will not regret getting the bloody thing out of you 😃!

Vickie is right, you do need to take it easy for a while - I learned my lesson; I felt so great that I went back to work after 2 weeks and was back doing housework after my bandages were removed. Big mistake - as I pulled an internal stitch which has made the healing process way longer. The wound on the outside heals fast but not internally - that takes time. I took that for granted and now I'm taking it easy.

Feel free to talk about it anytime - it's a small organ in your body but it is not a small surgery to deal with to be extremely honest with you.

xx Karen

• Posted

Thank you so much Karen. I feel so bloody pathetic sometimes. You have put my mind at ease a little. Thank you again for being so kind and taking the time to reply and reassure me. It is very much appreciated x

• Posted

I'm glad i could help. If you ever want to continue chatting or asking questions just to ease your mind, feel free to talk. Sometimes as women we overthink and get paranoid and just talking makes it easier - so no worries at all.

And I'm still recovering with having had the op only 4 weeks ago so it's still fresh in my mind. So I totally understand.

Take care and try and enjoy this festive season (I know it's easier said than done). But I'm sure in 6 weeks you'll look back on this site and will laugh at your messages and will be giving advise to others 😃.

xx Karen

• Posted

That would be lovely Karen, Thank you so much you're an absolute gem! 💕 xx

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Me again!! lol Had my pre op on Tuesday and I'm scheduled for surgery 3rd January. Absolutely terrified!! How did you feel after surgery and how long was it before you were feeling human again? xx

• Posted

hi i had my GB removed 2 1/2 years ago, started with a small ache:discomfort in right side. i had a four month wait to have out and the day before surgery i was cancelling the procedure, crying, saying goodbye to everyone, i could have won an oscar for my dramatics, the morning of surgery there was myself and three other very elderly ladies all waiting for different surgeries and i was first on the list. i was crying still and bless all the ladies were hugging and consoling me ahead of my 1-2 hour op at this point i was unaware of any of their ops and how old these ladies were i was 44 and in great condition.

Right up until i was put to sleep i was crying but everyone was amazing and i closed my eyes and it seemed a minute later i opened them, all was done and fine.

like other people say you must relax after after three days i was still in pain bur decided to do some washing and found myself back in a&e so relax and do nothing for at least 10 days if you can. You will be fine i was scared its normal to feel that way but honestly all will be good.

I chuckle to myself now about how i was and my husband rolls his eyes

thanks Vickie

• Posted

Oh Vickie, This will be me! Keep trying to convince myself it will be all worth it to be out of this misery. The good days are good but the bad days are absolutely horrendous with this pain!! 😪

• Posted

i know but it be good and worth it .. after my op things were still a bit all over the place i think i was expecting a miracle to happen, but i got tested for Bile salt malabsorption and this proved positive and i am now on coveselam tablets daily. Apparently this is common after having GB removed. Maybe after a couple of months when things start to settle ask to be tested ask for a SEHCAT test. I still after two years have my lower right side ache/pain but i feel well and eat well but still eat junk eapecially this time of year .. the best thing i found to eleviate some pain is walking, a little bit of exercise, increase water intake and try to relax and chill more .. i worry that the pain is something more but all tests show inflammation ... please try not to worry but any concerns you have you must talk to your GP. But all will be fine.

thanks Vickie

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kindness and taking the time to reply. It is really much appreciated x

• Posted

The surgery isn't too bad. Don't worry about it. The low fat diet was the hard part. I still do it now an d am used to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.