Gallbladder Op next week

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I am having my gallbladder out next week and have been put on a liver diet. I have really struggled to do it. Its very hard to stick to and have cheated twice now. I have endeavoured to loose weight for 35 years and nearly 50 now and not managed it and as soon as they gave me the diet liver sheet I just thought holy moly Im worried. I just wanted to ask people as am so very worried and concerned if they too went on one of these diets and how they found it and did they cheat and did it impact upon their surgery, Thanks Julie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie. I had my gallbladder removed almost two months ago. For issues with my insurance, I had to keep a strict diet, I lost more than 18lbs. Believe me, it was hard not to feel hungry , but I ate jello, squash casserole, chicken soup, essure drinks 1 per day,...etc. U can do it and just remember to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, have fruit ready in ziplock bags in ur bag , eat every two hrs have a healthy snack. Good luck!
    • Posted

Sorry I forgot to add that due to insurance issues, I had to wait for almost 6 mos. to get my surgery 🙁
    • Posted

Thank you so very much for kindly replying to me. You were most helpful. Much appreciation Julie
  • Posted

I had my gall bladder removed last week.  I never even heard about the liver diet.  I just followed common sense limiting fat intake, but I don't think very many people can follow a diet and never, ever cheat.  You can let your Doctor know and see if he or she feels it will have an effect on the surgery, but I am pretty sure they will tell you just to do your best.  GOOD LUCK.  I am now 5 days post-op- the Doctor said I had chronic inflammation and lots and lots of gallstones, and a few were too big to ever go away.  I am off all pain medications, but of course I am still bloated and uncomfortable.  The first few days were the worst because of the intense gas pain from what they pump into your abdominal cavity so they can see better.  I am back to eating a fairly regular diet but very low fat for awhile until I see what I can tolerate after I am healed.  Hope you heal quickly!

• Posted

Hello thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I will indeed say to the surgeon about my cheats. I'm very happy for you that your recovering well. Thanks for letting me know the details like the gas they pump into you. It helps people to be aware of what's normal. Bless you Kind regards Julie

• Posted

As a personal traininer when I'm clients are trying to lose weight they always complain that they crave a lot, there's a lot of low fat protein bars you can get from gyms / internet what taste just like choc bars and are great for when craving.. Also fat free protein crisps are amazing taste better than normal crisps! Just a idea if you crave junk food a lot.. I no I do!

Can I ask guys what kinds of symptoms did you guys suffer with before your operations ? What did the pain feel like ?

Iv been getting a pain in my gallbladder area it's like a constant dull ache.. And when I walk within 10 mins I get a stitch like pain along the bottom of my ribs.. Could this be gallbladder related ?

• Posted

I had a constant dull ache but it was more central, so I never even suspected gallbladder.  No stitches, but two pretty violent episodes of vomiting- the first I thought was a Medication reaction and the second I thought was from alcohol as I was in Cancun!  But NO other symptoms other than just general malaise and what felt like a stomach ache.  My labs showed 2 elevated liver enzymes and one elevated pancreatic enzymes.  So then I had a CT scan and ultrasound that showed many, many gallstones.  Surgery was last Thursday.  The Doctor said there was long-term inflammation and a few of the stones were huge so were not going to go away and I probably had been feeling bad for a year.  I just didn't attribute it to the gallbladder.  Ultrasounds are not expensive, and they can show the gallbladder so maybe you could get one so you know.  Good luck!  Jan

• Posted

I am interested in liver diet.  Never heard of this and have to live with my GB as is inoperable.
    • Posted

Hello it is very strict diet before the operation. I am allowed 20g cereal. One slice of toast and one egg. 80grams of chicken or fish with veg and a boiled potato the size of an egg each day. You could not live on this diet you would be vitamin deficiency so you need to cut down on fats and salt but eat healthy. Hope this helps I wish you all the best Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.