Gallbladder operation, had it for a year, operation now been cancelled twice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my first gallbladder attack just before I had my baby I had the gall bladder attack xmas eve which they was treating me for a water infection ( said they was guna send me for a scan but because it showed I had a water infection I didn't end up going for one), I then had my little boy xmas day with the midwifes not believing I was in labour and putting the pain down to my water infection, then the head was there and straight over the delivery sweet I went. Now a year on, with a new baby and 2 other children, lost count of how many attacks, was stuck in hospital for a week because one got stuck and caused a bile build up and I had bad jaundice, The last month I've been in hospital twice being pumped with so many meds to stop the pain morphine/ketamine/ on top of other things, and during this time have been cancelled twice for my operations due to bed shortage they wouldn't do the operation while I had a bed on the ward. It's so frustrating I know have to wait until April I have been told, also scared to of the damage and fearing that I turn really ill

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Is there anything that I could do?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Bless you Shannon you really have been through it, i was admitted to hospital Nov 2015 with horrendous pain scansand xrays showed i had a 3Cm stone lodged in neck of gallbladder, sent home put on the waiting list, another attack Nov 2016 dead to the day of previous year, my gp meanwhile in 2016 kept delaying to push it for surgery, but second addmission in hospital speeded things up and had my open surgery (could not do keyhole attempted it but complications stone had gone to liver) still recovering at home. do hope you get sorted out Shannon and op for you goes ahead, pain is awful beleive me i know.

big hugs 

Kate x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I feel so sorry for you. I was admitted to hospital for ten days in October 2015 and was told my gallbladder was full of stones and needed to be removed. I was told the wait was three months. I switched hospitals in the end and had mine out in May 2016. That was too long. If you can switch hospitals I would consider that. You have waited way too long. I totally understand everything you are going through. The fear of other attacks is horrendous. I was so poorly with my gallbladder and I couldn't believe this was a "routine op". It should be done asap as the consequences for leaving it could cost a life! I don't have much other advice but do complain. The way things are going in the NHS, you could be waiting still a very long time.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm in a position now where my partner have booked 2 lots of 2 weeks off for the surgery dates I was going because I need him to help with the baby as he still needs lifting and is a heavy one lol and now his annual leave is up until April, if something comes up before he would have to take unpaid leave which we can't afford with only him working at the moment

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Gallbladder removal is day surgery. You should not have to go to a ward.

Check this out with them.

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's not always day surgery, when u go to the pre surgery assessment they assess whether u may have risks and weather u can be put in day surgery or weather u may need a bed for risks x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sarah i had my op 5 weeks ago with all hope of going as a day patient but no i was unlucky, surgeons attempted keyhole and had to revert to open surgery as my 3CM stone had gone in to the liver, still recovering and insicion still sore it does not always go to plan i was in hospital for 5 days, i a m lucky all my chidren are adults so no little ones to tend to and a very supporting partner, 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up