Gallbladder - or all going on in my head !!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing what can only be described as gallbladder symptoms over the past 3 weeks (I know it's a short time and many people have these symptoms for months).

3 weeks ago, I'd eaten a bacon and egg sandwich for dinner (after not eating all day) and that evening I had horrible heavy / pain in my urq, which radiated to my back / shoulder blade, felt really sleepy and horrible - managed to sleep but the following morning I wasn't feeling much better, still in pain and nauseous. A few days later, I took the kids to the beach and we had ice-cream...oh me ..... same feeling again - pain, heavy in the right side, felt really tired again. Went to ER the following morning, they said it was most likely my gallbladder, took some bloods and told me to follow up with dr the following day.

Went to the dr, all the bloods werre normal (apart from a slighty raised amalyse), which would indicate gallbladder. So Dr ordered bloods to be done again, all of which came back normal (amalyse had fallen back to normal) and an Ultrasound. I ended up paying private to go for the scan as I was freaking out, the pain wasn't going and I was really nauseous and couldnt eat much, I had myself diagnosed with all kinds.

The Ultra Sound came back normal. Inbetween times I had a couple of yellow oily bm (sorry if tmi), but that seems to have settled now.

After the clear scan and normal bloods, Dr put me on Sertraline as he thinks it's anxiety.

I've to be 4 weeks on Sertraline and then go back to him, as he's sure the symptoms will settle !!!

I'm not so sure .... I'm fairly sure there's something not right .... the pain is there pretty much all the time ..... worse if I eat something really fatty.....

It goes from under my ribs on the right side, to my right shoulder, to inbetween my shoulder blades.....sometimes, it's so sore and my shoulder blades and muscles are so tense I feel like someone is squeezing my throat .....

I know that the side effects of starting sertraline can cause all kinds of stomach upsets, anxiety etc.... aswell ...... but I feel like I'm in hell ..... dr just thinks cause everything came back normal and because I suffer badly from anxiety that it must be in head.....

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can relate totally xx this is all the same as me. Bang on. Pain in my back gets worse with exercise or anything where I need to move my arms xx sad
    • Posted

Same Anne - I was noticing that everytime I went out running I was getting an awful bad stitch in my gallbladder / liver area....it got so painful .... I wonder now if it was my gallbladder getting irritated. x

• Posted

No Anne, it's not out. I'm just at the beginning of my gb journey I think. Lots of symptoms daily .... but ultra sound & bloods all coming back normal. X

• Posted

I can def relate to this, I started with this niggling pain in my right side half way up the ribs for a few weeks on and off then it was quite severe. I was admitted to hospital where they said it was gallstones, an ultrasound showed nothing. I came home after one night. My chest xray was clear. The camera into my stomach showed gastritis, ( inflammation of the lining of my stomach). Gp thinks its inflammation of the intercostal muscles but it doesn't hurt when i move, when i eat i get severe spasms in the gallbladder area. I went back to the drs again 2 days later he said its not muscular its def gallbladder and arranged a ct scan for 4th july. Next morning i was back at the hospital cos of pain. The doctor there thinks its definately gallbladder but there isnt anything they can do until i have my scan. She gave me antibiotics incase its infected and im on 2 omeprazole a day. I had the ct scan it was clear so been referred back to the surgeons got app on 7th august. The pain did ease off a bit but only for a day or two now its starting to hurt again especially after food. So fed up!!

• Posted

Wow your doctors have been very pro-active. I've been going through this since Oct 16 with mild symptoms a pain in side and nausea since January and everything plus shoulder pain since March and all i've had so far is 3 lots of blood tests and an ultrasound. My gp has only just referred me to a gastro 2 weeks ago, i've now seen the gastro and i'm awaiting a ct scan.

Good luck Clare!

• Posted

Really,, thats not good. Keeo pushing them or change surgerys.
  • Posted

Hi, i've got the same issues, pain in my right upper quadrant, been ongoing for about 7 months, started approx 2 months after starting taking sertraline for anxiety. Like the others the dr asked if it could be anxiety causing it, but it absolutely is not. had the yellow oily stools as well and occasional sharp pains up to shoulder blade. i have an ultrasound tomorrow but not expecting it to show anything. did anyone get any firm answers? i should add that i take esomperazole for acid reflux as well. as with others, bloods for liver etc came back fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.