Gallbladder or heart problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had gerd for 3 years now. Just always took an acid reducer and that was that. The past couple weeks, it has gotten way worse and I have been throwing up almost every meal. So the gastroenterologist suggested my gallbladder is bad. I have had an ultrasound of it and they claim it's in the "porcelain" state. I am scheduled for a hydascan and c.t. scan. And have an appointment with a surgeon. But that's a couple weeks away. I have been having chest pains so bad lately. Sometimes they get so bad I feel like I'm having a heart attack. Left arm goes numb. I get hot and cold at the same time. Chest gets tight. I get light-headed. I went to the e.r. a couple weeks ago and they checked my heart and lungs and said they are fine and follow up with the gastroenterologist. Can a gallbladder attack mimic a heart attack? Or should I be concerned about my heart? Has anyone had issues like this with their gallbladder before? This is all starting to worry me but I can't keep racking up medical bills by going to the e.r. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Without a doubt it certainly can and with a host of other symptoms too.
  • Posted

Yes I experience exactly what you described, I went to A&E with all the symptoms of heart attack, I had a completely MOT check up to be told it was my gallbladder. 

Ive since had my gallbladder removed, it seems to have done the job ! Good luck! 

• Posted

My chest hurt too when I had gallstones. My reflux started then too. But it came back after my gallbladder removal and I also have gastritis. I wouldn’t worry but always check with your dr to be sure. But the gallbladder and reflux both can cause chest pain. I went to ER 2 times thinking it was a heart attack. 
  • Posted

With your arm going numb, it sounds to me like you may be on the verge of having a stroke.  In November of 2016, my left arm went numb.  I told my doctors during routine checkups.  I was told to take a baby aspirin which I promptly forgot to do.  In March of 2017, I had  a minor stroke.  My carotid artery is clogged.  No one  suggested that I get tested to see if my arteries were functioning correctly.  In May or 2017 I started having stomach problems. After tests, it was determined that I had to have my gall bladder removed (no stones).which I did in July.  I was extremely weak because of the stroke and the inability eat.  It has been over  a year and I am finally feeling better.  It has been a real struggle since I am an older person.  I would recommend that you get your carotid arteries checked out.  I hope you are feeling better and the best of luck to you with your health concerns.

• Posted

Hi Carol I have been in A&E twice with suspected heart problems and nothing was found and this can only then be attributed to Gall Bladder issues, I thought, I have what Blackhawks527 is suffering with near identical symptoms and in fact on one occasion the GP surgery wanted me to call an Ambulance!!! 

There is definitely an Issue with Gall Bladder and how it affects people differently which I do find amazing that health care workers are not aware of but it seems they don't!   My left arm and more so my lower arm and wrist and hand go numb and worst of all I get a pain in my left arm pit, which on one evening traveled from left to right arm pit and then disappeared, it was totally unreal as it moved across my chest, it took about 10 to 15 minutes, YET the consultant I saw said this was BACK pain issues???????

You now have me wondering if there is something by your comments as I am noticing very bad memory and visual issues but I would have thought ECG's would pick up a stroke along with the many blood tests I have had but maybe your right, I am considering going back to the Dr's even before reading your post??  My problem is I cant see anyone about my Gall Bladder until January but with this heat we just had its been awful, I am waiting to see if things calm down any if not I will go back to Dr's!  

• Posted

Just an update. I appreciate everyone helping me with their comments. After a ton of tests, we have come to the conclusion that my gallbladder is only working at 9%. Monday I have consultation for surgery. Thanks k you everyone so much for your input, thoughts, concerns, and well wishes!
    • Posted

In that case I wont go to my Dr's as your symptoms are so close to mine now I cant wait until January because I want mine out as well I cannot live like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.