Gallbladder or something else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new here. Here's what's going on with me. 52 yr old healthy female. Non smoker/non drinker. Two weeks ago after I ate, was upset, I have twin girls 😇 felt nauseous , thought it was food poisoning or just from being upset. Threw up 5 x in a row, then felt so much better. Next day normal. No diahreah? Or anything, but started feeling flare up by gallbladder area. Upper right quadrant area. More discomfort, dull, balloon like feeling whenever I ate. Went to my Dr. Right away, all blood, urine, stool and sonogram test normal. She tested for everything. No gut bacteria etc. Yes, high cholesterol. Just did another cholesterol test yesterday, this time fasting. Results tmrw. I'm not in pain but flee ups come and go. I adjusted my meals to bland foods, salads, soups etc. Dr thinks, colicky gallbladder. No meds, just monitor. I'm frustrated because I've never had any issues. I just feel twinges from time to time and feels like a little balloon flare up. My question, how long will this continue, what can I do to relieve it, Is it safe to travel by airplane? Thinking of not making travel plans now, afraid of having a major painful flare up, which hasn't happened yet. Should I ask her to refer me to a gastroenterologist? Or give it time? I trust & like my Dr. Just would like your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

W

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Your nausea and vomiting aggravated your gallbladder. Stay away from fatty foods, try to eat 6 small meals rather than large meals but most important is fat intake. All test were negative so hop on the plane and have a good time. You can actually make yourself sick by worrying about “WHAT IF”.  Have a good time. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I agree worrying will make it worse. I am definitely planning my vacation, plus I have to visit my mom regardless.
  • Posted

Next time that you get an attack , try some Buscopan ....availble without a prescription. If you got an attack whilst abroad and it is your gall bladder , then Buscopan will definitely help . 
    • Posted

Thank you. I am going to look into that.
  • Posted

the right test to do is hida scan for gallbladder function and ultrasound for any stones.
    • Posted

Tjank you. Good to know. I was wondering if they missed something because it maybe in early stages, but I'm still having flare ups. Wondering how long will this last. Not normal to me. I'm going to push for a referral for maybe a Gastroenterologist or the scan you mentioned.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Be vigilant of your food intake, no fat or very less fat can help. Avoid fried food, go on boil and bake.

My husband has gallstone problem too, we decline for removal we just strict on his diet and we did natural flush once and his next flush at the end of this month. Doctors dont believe natural flush but we do coz the pain is gone. I think his strict diet is a big thing.

Hope it helps.

• Posted

Yes definitely. I don't get foods at all ever. I eat alot of cheese, eggs ( cutting down and sticking to egg whites). When I'm out I do eat fries, especially when you have kids and on the run. Stopped butter intake too.

Thanks for the Tips.

• Posted

Meant, I don't Fry foods at all at home.

• Posted

The first step is to have at least an ultrasound on the gall bladder and associated ducts.

The if you have cholesterol gall stones read all you can about Ursodioxycholic acid because if they are cholesterol type stones they can be dissolved chemically with a course of those bile acid tablets but your gasto surgeon will know about them and may rubbish them but they do work admirably so for some (me included).

• Posted

Thank you so much for the info. I had an ultrasound. No gallstones. I'm feeling much better now after 3 weeks, but from time to time I have a little flare up, that balloon like feeling. I insisted, I finally have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist.

Thanks again. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.