Gallbladder out two weeks ago and feeling crappy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I had my gall bladder removed two weeks ago and was told it would Ben life changing. It has been but not for the better. I am always uncomfortable. Nights have become horrible and I wake up with chest pains, nauseated and can't focus back to sleep. 

I need to know that this will end 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Betsy, it will get better, don't forget you've had major surgery and its only been 2 weeks, it will take alot longer on the inside to heal than the outside. For some its really quick and for others it takes a while longer. I know its really difficult at nighttime to find a comfortable position to sleep in and that does take alot longer in my case. Be prepared for it to take several months rather than weeks to get back to normal. Its a gradual process so be patient and rest and do little things gradually to get yourself back into it.

Take care and rest up x

• Posted

you have to be patient,as you have only just had a operation,as already said ,we have had surgical tools inside of us, my gb was xmas 2016, i am still uncomfortable,but thankfully on the mend, make sure you take it easy no lifting anything heavy,or awkward movements, it will take time, everybody is different, all best terry
    • Posted

thanks terry - that is nice to hear.  I am up all night worried about heart attack etc... I need to relax and be patient with my self.  
  • Posted

Hi Betsy

You're still in recovery from major surgery so don't expect to feel better overnight. If you had lap chol, they tell you it takes two to three weeks but most people who post here will tell you it takes much longer to heal internally. Open surgery takes even longer.

Are you taking pain meds as prescribed? It's important to take them regularly to keep on top of pain. 

Your doctor can prescribe Omeprazole which reduces nausea and aids digestion. 

You need to get plenty of rest. Six months on after open surgery, I've only just began to feel comfortable lying on my right side or tummy. I actually found it more comfortable sleeping in an armchair with my feet on a footstool for the first few weeks.

You should also try to do some gentle walking as this helps get rid of anaesthetic. And prevents DVT. No heavy lifting or anything too exerting for a while.

Stick to several light meals instead of two or three heavier meals and continue to eat low fat.

You will feel better but it does take time. Surgeons are over optimistic on recovery times and everyone recovers differently. X

• Posted

This is sooooo helpful. The doctors do send the message that my life should already back on track!  

I am going to try sleeping in a chair tonight and see if thing go better. I will try to be more patient with this recovery

Thanks for the support 

• Posted

My god you're all so lucky I had an awful time from getting surgery in may2016 up and including present day I hate my life post op

• Posted

LInda - I get you - 

I am trying to be patient but today i felt like i was having a heart attack -  the pain is endless and am off to the doctors again on Thursday - seems like i am in an out of the doctors all the time

• Posted

give it time your still early days. some are back to normal a few weeks later, some take several months on our gallbladder removed group. Some have issues most do not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.