Gallbladder pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

I was next on the emergency waiting list for GB removal the week before lockdown... And then lockdown happened 😩.. Now been waiting since Sept last year! My question for anyone that had prolonged GB problems and attacks.. Did you ever feel as if you could feel your gb!? Like I get niggly pain fairly regularly, as well as my attacks now becoming more regular, and sometimes I only have to be sitting or laying the wrong way (when I'm not having an attack) but can feel sharp pain in the same place. And maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me but I'm sure I can feel it inside 😔 any similar experiences?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky, I cant believe no one has replied, or it my connection. I did feel like I could literally feel my gb when I was poorly with it. that area felt really tender to the touch, as if I was bruised in the area. You'll be fine kiddo, try not to drive yourself crazy with worry! The odds are heavily stacked in ur favour. Take care.

• Posted

Hi,

I've yet to be diagnosed but after having attacks since January, I honestly feel like something is disproportionate or inflamed under my right ribs.

I have pain when I bend over or when I lay on my sides. I also feel tenderness in the area.

I don't know for you but I struggle with "stabbing pain" in the middle of my back, shoulder blades and ribs. Today, the pain was as high as my right collar bone and neck.

Stay safe,

Alex

• Posted

Hi Alex - I have the same issues. I have been diagnosed with US - a 24mm stone - and waiting for an appointment for potential removal. Apple Cider Vinegar works well (as does really limiting fat intake) well worth a try. Good luck with the diagnosis.

• Posted

My husband had his appointment in General Surgery in May cancelled for his gallbladder and he also has a fatty lipoma in his abdominal cavity he is in excrutiating pain more often than not. I feel on the verge of having a nervous breakdown witnessing his pain - are you the same? His pain is going up his right arm neck and shoulder as well. Any advice as I do not where to turn to anymore. Do you suffer from this referred pain as well?

• Posted

gallbladder for sure. the pain from GB goes from under the ribs up thru the breast/nipple not the shoulder and when its very bad it shoots up into the right side of the neck and into head. it kinda feels like a heart attack. he needs to stop eating fatty greasy foods.....i cant even have olive oil RN. tell him when it get bad to lay on his left side I also massage my stomach area and have my hubby pinch and lift my back tissue as that helps move along that food that doesn't process well (the pinching is painful but has bee. well worth it.

• Edited

Hi Vicky,

I had my surgery 4 months ago, but I can associate with that feeling you describe. I used to describe it as my gallbladder niggling! I also felt it when lying in my leftside in bed at night.

I found that taking Buscopan helped a lot as it helped stop the spasms.

Good luck to you and the other posters awaiting surgery. For me it was a positive experience and things have returned to normal without an ill effects. The best advice I can give is to be sure the surgeon has a high frequency rate in performing gallbladder removals - this is the same advice I was given by numerous medical professionals when I was diagnosed.

• Posted

hi, thanks for your reply! yes, oddly enough this is how I describe it to my husband, as niggly pain. very manageable compared to an attack, but always there! my doctor today prescribed me with buscopan actually but she didnt say whether to take it every day or just with an attack ..what did you do? im praying for a successful op very soon.. its been almost a year! thanks for the tip i will definitely be asking the question!

• Posted

yes this! I found the best doctor in my area and sadly he caught the Covid when he was tested for my gb surgery last Tuesday. i was offered another colleague if my symptoms were really bad and I did consider it but when doing my research I figured id wait for him to get better and luckily have my gb surg rescheduled for this Thursday!

• Posted

hi Vicky,

I just took it as soon as I felt on onset of an attack or when I felt some discomfort or belching. I sometimes took 400mg of Ibuprofen with it when having an attack, but some people cannot tolerate ibuprofen very well.

I really feel for you going through this. Fingers crossed you have your surgery soon.

• Posted

ah thank you! i will try it and see if it works, im normally ok with iburpofen. yes im really hoping the operation is soon and that it works! currently if it isnt my GB keeping ng me awake its my baby 😩 thank you again for the advise!

• Posted

Hi,

I have been asking for surgery but surgeon mentioned govt. not yet given permission for NHS operations in private hospitals.

Does anyone of you/friends/relatives got GB. removal operation booked in NHS operations in private surgery?

GP asked me to take Codeine when there is pain, but i've niggly pain all the time. is it safe to take Codeine everyday?

Could anyone help me on this please?

• Posted

Sri7891: Codeine is an opioid and can be highly addictive. Additionally, the longer it is taken the more tolerance is built up, resulting in having to take more in order to get the same effects. Most doctors recommend only taking codeine for a few days.

I found that Buscopan helped me whenever my gallbladder was playing up. On some occasions I also took 400mg of ibuprofen, but this can cause stomach issues (ulcers) so longer term use is also not recommended.

Make sure you are eating an extremely low fat diet. Drink lots of water.

I cannot advise regarding NHS operations in private hospitals, however, I think the most important thing is to get your surgery ASAP, be it in a private or NHS hospital.

• Posted

Hi first time poster so be gentle!

I was diagnosed with gallstones about 10 years ago and never had a major attack but usually have a few weeks of discomfort and tightness around upper right side hutch tend to settle. Back in April the symptoms appeared and didn’t subside after using buscopan and painkillers. Doc arranged another US and confirmed gallstones but everything else looked fine, in fact liver was smaller than last US so they were happy.

This episode still hasn’t settled and is just a general ache, tightness, and feeling that there’s air or gas or something under the right side and I notice it if I lean to the right or sit in a certain position, say at my desk it’s uncomfortable. I can sometimes feel that area fluttering and spasming.

Sometimes it’s more noticeable after every meal and sometimes not.

Buscopan hasn’t really helped that much, it usually does.

Would you say all this sounds normal?, And is worth speaking to my doc again?

Thanks for listening!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.