Gallbladder pain but ultrasound normal

Posted , 7 users are following.

ive been getting pain all over lower and upper abdomen... dull and sharp... but mainly where my gallbldder is at and across.. they did an xray of abdomen that was normal and ultrasound! can something still be wrong with gallbladder or can i get pain from something else in that area? im always hurting and need to go see dr again but so depressed .. i dont feel good and wondering if anybody has gone thru this

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am not a doctor, but I get pain in that area a (after consuming certain fatty foods (mostly store-bought pastries), super fatty meat (pork and beef) and also if I have coffee I will get pain later in the day (I gave up coffee - it was worth it!) Also drinking alcohol seems to give me pains in that area.I do not have my gallbladder.

Just a thought....my gallbladder was removed because it wasn't working properly because one of my valves was closing itself off. It wasn't that I had gallbladder stones like most people who have their GB removed.

I hope you are being proactive and asking your doctor about it.

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

I wish I could help you but I've got a very similar problem. However, my pain is right in between my shoulder blades but in my back. It's really bad. Like a stabbing pain. I've also been having night sweats for the past few months which actually wake me up. No sweats during the day.

This also occurs after a fatty meal.

I've also had an abdominal ultrasound that revealed only cysts in my liver which were described as simple ( but they were big because I watched the sonographer measuring them.

Every time I see my GP I think she must think I'm a hypochondriac because she just offered me anti depressants that have the side effect of stopping perspiration.

I don't want to stop sweating........... I want her to find the cause of it!!! However, I dutifully just took the prescription and left the surgery feeling disappointed yet again.

I know this doesn't help you with your pain and the only similarity is that it happens after a fatty meal so it rang a bell with me.

Are you on any medication?

I'm on Pantoprazole once a day but it's clearly not working.

It wasn't until all this started that I've realised how difficult it is when ones aches and pains are left undiagnosed.

Good luck with your pursuit of both a proper diagnosis and treatment.

• Posted

yes the ultrasound can be normal and things still be wrong. Ask your doctor for a hida scan. This shows how well your gallbladder is functioning. Hope you get answers soon as to why you're feeling so bad xx

• Posted

I agree you need a hidascan.I had a ct scan and ultrasound-NO stones.but my Dr was smart enough to order a hidascan and there is where they found out my gallbladder was non functioning.so doing surgery Dec.7.tell your doctor's you want a hidascan.its specifically just for the gallbladder.

• Posted

I had an ultrasound scan after having an episode of gall bladder pain and was told no stones ,it did show 3 simple cysts in my liver, I had a repeat scan to check out cysts 6 weeks later, guess what lots of tiny stones floating around in my gall bladder.Scans can be wrong.

• Posted

Hi Nicole, If you have had no answer from scans then you can test this out for yourself but be mindful of the consequences. Drink one glass milk 300ml sit in a chair and wait.

Ultra sound will not pick up tiny stones.

The Gall Bladder works along side the Liver for the digestive system to work.

If this is your GB you will have an attack which will be slightly worse than what your already experiencing but more acute. Unfortunately you will only be proving to yourself that it is GB. The one thing I can say is, at least you know you have nothing to big in the organs.

The general rule of assessing ourselves is keeping a track of what you eat and drink in daily life. So what you eat and experience is essential. Basically your doing what your body is telling you to do.

I am not a Dr but I think if you ask anyone in here they will tell you the same things.

Once you deduce its fatty foods then there is your answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.