Gallbladder pain felt on left hand side

Posted , 3 users are following.

For years I have had recurring upper left abdominal pain, not terrible but not nothing either. Gastroscopy was clear. During this last year I have had 'typical' biliary colic, sometimes excruciating but always in the middle and on the left hand side. Scan shows

I have multiple gallstones and am on the list to have the gallbladder removed. No-one has ever explained why I am having all the pain on the left and I just wondered whether anyone else has experienced this or has an explanation for why it might be?

Cant help worrying that there might be something else going on.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison! I'm 4 weeks post lap chole and before having it removed (and sometimes now) I'd get left front and back under my rib cage sharp pain. I've heard some people refer to it as referred pain. But not sure. This whole GB experience has caused me a great deal of symptoms!

• Posted

thank you, that's really helpful to know. hope you feel better for the op and are fully recovered soon 😊

• Posted

Thank you! Best wishes to you as well. I hope your op helps. I go to a naturopath now and I really wish I would've before they removed it. Food for thought

• Posted

I started to have excruciating and frightening attacks with pain mainly on the left side (literally felt i was going to die) in Jan 2022. I got in touch with GP surgery after the first one who were kind but cross I hadn't at least called 111 as symptoms were exactly as a female heart attack would present. However, as I didn't die, lol, it was put down as indigestion. After 2 more attacks I was given ultrasound showing lots of little gallstones so attacks (which last 5 hours) are probably little stones forcing their way down the bile duct.

I was concerned though that the left side pain might be pancreas-related as nowhere mentioned left side pain for gallbladder/stones but my GP assured me that the attack wouldn't have settled if it involved the pancreas. So, fingers crossed that our pancreases aren't involved! However, she did tell me to that I should be going to A&E when I have an attack. I was referred a month ago for 'urgent' gallbladder removal, but have just been given an appt for 1st Aug when they'll decide whether I 'need' surgery 😦 Living in fear of eating any fat now 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.