Gallbladder pain for over 3 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello guys, I decided to come here to share my experience in hopes that I am not the only one alone in this situation at this very moment.

I was diagnosed with gallstones 7 months ago, it all started in January, I legit believed I was dying when I called ER for the first time ever on my life.

I went through many exams and they couldn't find anything wrong with me until I ended up in hospital and did a CT Scan.

Fast forwarding I have met the surgeon in April and was told that I would be put in the urgent list since my attacks are happening way to often.

Overall I kept going with my life, putting up with gallbladder attacks two or three times a month which is manageable after a while since I was prescribed ibuprofen and nospa once an attack would submerge.

I got myself an amazing job and this past month things have just gotten way worse, I am constantly going to work feeling very sick (my stomach is always very upset) and I have managed to get 5 attacks in a span of a month, I'm very scared I had to take 2 weeks of work because I cant function as a human being lately, but ever since last week the over the counter meds won't do anything to me, I have been in pain for over 3 days now accompanied with gallbladder attacks, I called the ambulance yesterday where they pumped me with very strong meds but the steady pain was still there (just it felt very little), fast forwarding until this morning I am laying in bed putting up with that steady pain in my gallblader which has become stronger again, yet it does not cause any nausea or vomiting so far, I haven't eaten anything and I'm afraid to even do so, I have been monitoring myself in case a stone could be stuck in the bile duct but no symptoms show up.

(I managed to finally go to the toilet but my stool is very very hard) I don't know what to do anymore I am meeting another surgeon on Wednesday since I have been waiting so long in this X hospital and I can't co-op with this awful sharp steady pain, I apologize for the long text but I'm so afraid I don't know what to do anymore.

Paramedics told me that if I call again they would be taking me but most likely I will just go back home after some time since they don't know what to do to me yet

Thank you for reading this

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I hope this helps but is very important that until you get a resolution you eat a no fat diet, also take out coffee, cola, fizzy drinks. Try boiled veg, soup, oatmeal or weetabix with fat free milk, mushed up banana, fat free yogurt etc. I know this seems drastic but for me I could function quite well like this.

let us know how you get on, good luck.

• Posted

I enjoy low fat diet it makes me feel good usually, I actually just had some rice and fish and I'm feeling a bit better for now, fingers crossed this pain will go away, it has been 3 days now 😢

• Posted

HI,

I have had much the same history as you - symptoms since August last year beginning with litres of bile both ends, only a few GALL STONE ATTACKS where the pain is unbearable at night, then a year trying various meds until RANITIDINE worked from JANUARY. Not diagnosed with gallstones until Ct scan end of Feb but still made to have colonoscop and endoscopy to rule out anything else. Finally had OP 3 weeks ago today and still have same symptoms but really have to avoid now spicy foods and reduce fats. had to go back on meds as felt so flaky - after op blood pressure dropped really low and morphone made me sick.

i hope you get your op soon and it works - I do know how you feel just waiting and not knowing how long you can last.

good luck and try and find a liason department at the hospital who may be able to exert some pressure for you.

Are you eating really bland foods as thar can help,

best wishes,

• Posted

Hello! I am happy to know what you had your surgery, I really wish you the Best and get well soon, I do have a good diet but I believe my gallbladder is very infected, yesterday it got a bit better but the steady pain still persists, today I was able to rest a bit more but my back pain is rather annoying

• Posted

Did the CT scan confirm gall stones ? Have you researched Ursodioxycholic acid to dissolve gall stones ? The dissolution treatment worked for me and I still have a functioning gall bladder which has not got any symptomatic gall stones in it! It is pertinent to note that a registrar told me I must have my gall bladder removed as there was no other option = wrong because that was two years ago and I see lately another lady on this forum is of the same

stance on this important matter.

• Posted

Yea there were gallstones found in my CT scan, surgeon told me gallbladder removal would be the right thing to do, I am just so desperate with constant steady pain where my gallbladder sits and the back pressure just won't make anything feel better, I am following low fat diet as well and after I had some food I feel a bit better for now, I will have a read over it, thank you so much everyone for the words

• Posted

It may well surprise you as it did me but research in the USA states that the doctors/researchers found that a low fat diet can indeed cause gall stones in some individuals. They said that the gall bladder is not flushed out of it's contents with a low fat diet due to the gall bladder not being 'used' enough..... when that is evaluated I suppose it really does make sense......

They also found that those taking a low dose Ursodioxycholic acid regime did not form gall stones.... My surgeon stated in a letter I have that qote= " Usodioxycholic acid treatment will dissolve gall stones...... I don't have any objection to you trying that method but it's a horrible way of getting rid of them"

I was thankful he let me try that method and sure enough it 'got rid' of most of my stones as proven by ultrasound and reduce the two remaining ...... the biggest from 17mm to 10mm and the other 10 mm to 5mm....... I do not have any symptoms now and practice a normal diet but not low fat.

Doctors and researchers say that mostly the gall bladder problem is hereditary. However problems can occur it seems whatever we do to keep healthy. Thinking we are doing the 'right thing' may not be absolutely correct but I am grateful that I researched Urso before believing

some who said it won't work......... I am proof that it does work at least for me.

• Posted

Yes sadly this is hereditary and I'm only 26 years old, I suffer so much I get to a point I don't know what to do anymore, I'm glad you got rid of it, gallstones pain and attacks overall do take our life away in so many aspects

• Posted

Hi Catie1903, Wow that sounds much worse than I have suffered and its one thing that made me doubt GB because they say constipation is a symptom but I never suffered with that, mines always been diarrhea and vomiting.

But yes, chest pain and right hand side tummy pain I can agree with which yes can make you feel like your having a heart attack with the pain.

Glad your at least having surgery to get rid of the GB but diet will be key to helping get through this until then. So NO more Fat foods and you will maybe find even after having it out that your diet is going to change as well as you can read many post in here with people who have had there's out suffer afterwards with eating too.

As you are in so chronic pain it sounds like the op is going to be your saviour and you truly have my sympathies.

Julian

• Posted

Dear Julian

Thank you so much for the message I just pray that I will be having my op as soon as possible, I can adapt to change I have been in pain for many years before being diagnosed, I didn't had gallbladder attacks in the past but I have always been stomach sick ever since a little girl but right now I just want some peace, pain is never gone and I have been waiting 7 months for the surgery without any news from the hospital, as mentioned I will be going to another hospital / surgeon tomorrow and I really hope maybe they can help me

• Posted

Hi Catie1903, Well, see what happens at the Hospital today but from what you have said I think your going to be better soon.

Wishing you better soon,

Julian

• Posted

I just met with this new surgeon and he scheduled my surgery for Friday! as urgent matter I am scared and anxious at the same time, I have never done an operation before in my life so I really don't know how to exactly prepare for this but in the other side I will get this issue taken care of

Do you have any tips or any suggestions regarding the surgery or how could I feel more calm? I'm the panic department and I suffer from anxiety, but I have to go through with this

• Posted

No One wants to be operated on but basically from what I heard and seen on the net 3 small incisions below breast and one below belly button. Belly button is for camera and air to be pumped in the 3 small ones under breast for working and cutting Gall Bladder away from Liver and unless there are complications there will be a larger cut and longer stay, if all goes tickety boo you could be in an out within the day.

Yep I feel your anxiety and we all would so your not alone.

But hopefully this post will reach you when you get home?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.