Gallbladder Pain Meds When Attack Happening, NSAIDS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been having on and off gallbladder attacks for the last five years (I know a long time right!) Pain since the first one was horrible went to A & E thought it was a heart attack and everything, bloods normal and sent home with omeprazole (that didn't seem to have any effect)

Pain used to only really come as an attack after a night of heavy drinking and would be the next day and last for a couple of hours that wasn't nice and just had to sort of wait it out, couldn't really get a breath and just tried Gaviscon mainly.

Now I've eliminated all gluten from the diet, mainly water no alcohol in two years but the attacks happen sort of every day very server pain right under the right rib almost in a pear shape where the pain in, followed by nausea and can't find much relieve hot water bottle seems good.

Tried apple cider vinegar which seems to work but not when it's a really bad attack, note if I drink any alcohol it will go overdrive and be really bad but I've not really left the house now because it's getting so painful.

So wondered what people found best, never really tried any NSAIDs in my life cause DRS always said gastritis even though endoscopy was clear, but I passed for Murphys Sign and some stones when looking on ultrasound.

SO wanted an idea from the lovely people yourselfs what you found best, paracetamol sometimes seems to be a bit funny with my so hoping NSAIDs work a bit better, heard codeine is hit and miss too! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stevie,

Personally for me nothing worked for me at home during an attack.

Although my doctor prescribed both codine and tramadol (at different times) she told me the best medication they had for gallbladder pain was Buscopan an IBS medication available without prescription. (Active ingredient is hyoscine butylbromide).

I did take Buscopan along with time release peppermint capsules daily it may have helped or maybe prevented small attacks I really don't know.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you Snow yeah I haven't tried buscopan with one actually we use it at the vets similar as an antispasmodic wonderful drug (amazingly painful if injected though!) Sad to hear that not much worked for the pain though specially tramadol as that can be a bit of a hard hitting drug really !

Actually of all things I found jacket potato and banana with water to ease it but sometimes can't even do that very horrible when I used to go A & E they'd monitor do some bloods and nothing, but seems gall bladder doesn't show on bloods till it gets really bad! 

• Posted

If it is gastritis you don't really want to be taking NSAID's as they will cause more irritation to your stomach, but if you've had normal endosopies then i doubt is gastritis.

Codeine does nothing for me and paracetamol seems to make my pain worse as i think it's hard on your liver.

Steve could i ask why you've not just had your gallbladder out? Are you being told that your gallbladder's not your problem?

• Posted

Coedeine does seem the weird one with people some people it knocks out me I didn't feel much but then suddenly get tired on it. I don't get many of the symptoms of gastritis and taken a lot of the normal meds for that, that didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever either.

I'm glad you said about the paracetamol though I thought I was going mad about it making it worse (so many doctors don't believe you!) 

It's a long story when I was getting a lot of tests done but I actually was concentrating on my veterinary career instead, so I had an ultrasound by a midwife nurse than mostly looked fine gall bladder they didn't seem too worried about, had endoscopy as well which was all clear actually even with biopsies taken.

I stopped all fatty food and eliminated alcohol which seemed to irritate it and I got better for a couple of years actually (but still burning sensation below right rib cage and still sore to touch) 

Then it just got so intense and get the attacks bad enough while at home that I haven't found something to take the pain away so panic when I try and drive somewhere and have an episode (since they can last up to two hours at home don't really want that on a busy road did that once was horrible!)

So Doctors finally listening but struggling to get to the places to get it really tested now, I'd even go private to speed up tbh nightmare of an illness!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.