Gallbladder pain which is felt only between the right shoulder blades.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, 

I am suspecting that I might have gallstones in my galbladder.. had an  ultra sound in February which revelaed I have alot of small stones which looked like sand, doctor said these look like they're asymptomatic..l have a gallbladder attack? everytime I eat fatty or fried foods ( even sometimes things like red meat can trigger it). However, the pain always starts between the  right  shoulder blades and it feels like I'm being stabbed constantly ( it does not start in the right upper abdomen area and then radiates to the back),  these attacks sometimes increase in intensity and sometimes not, that's how I know that I'm gonna have an attack. I would like to ask, does anyone's gallbladder attack starts in the right shoulder blades? And what other reasons could there be if it is not the gallbladder?

I would like to note that the pain rarely reaches the right upper abdomen as it is always felt between the right shoulder blades.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor is looking for text book symptoms of gallbladder problems.  Every one has different symptoms, not always the ones that doctors like to see.  You aren't "asymptomatic." You have something going on--pain.  I suggest you get a referral to a gastroenterologist who knows what tests to give and how to diagnose and treat you.  

Small stones and sludge can cause real damage in a gallbladder over time.  I hate to say this, but GP's usually know little about how the digestive system works and seem inclined to give meds to get rid of the symptoms, not want to find out what's happening.  

Best of luck to you! xx

• Posted

Thank you for your fast reply Lynda!

Does this mean that gallbladder symptoms differ from person to person? And if I have gallstones does that mean, I have to remove my gallbladder? Or are there natural remedies to treat the gallbladder?

• Posted

You're welcome.  

Gallbladder symptoms differ from person to person.  Not every person's gallbladder disease manifests in the same way. There are similarities, which is why there are lists of symptoms.  

Once your body starts to produce gallstones, it will continue.  Gallbladder disease can affect the liver, pancreas, stomach and intestines.  Untreated gallbladder disease can leave an individual very ill indeed. 

What follows is my opinion, mind, and I'm not a doctor. But there are no natural means to treat gallbladder disease, other than diet modification to eat lower fat, low sugars.  (There is a gallbladder diet on this site, I believe.) But each person's condition is different, and what might work for one might not work for another. However, remember that your body won't stop producing stones.    

There are herbs and other substances sold individually and in combinations that will claim to cleanse the body and rid it of gallstones.  But there are others on this site who have tried them and not gotten relief. Someone makes money off of these supplements, and the person that buys them and uses them assumes the risk.  

There is a medicine, not often prescribed, that is said to dissolve gallstones, but as I understand it, the patient must take it for a very long time, with no assurance that it will work.

I think that the best thing to do is to get a referral to a gastroenterologist who knows the tests to perform and how to diagnose and treat gallbladder disease.

Hope this helps.       

• Posted

Thank you so much for all the information! I will try and get another CT scan and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again! smile

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed in Feb 2017. I had the same symptoms from my gallstones. The pain started from the just under my ribcage to my back under my ribcage. It did work its way to my right shoulder. When it did happen I had a glass of water or a warm cup of tea. I did have to stay away from the fatty greasy foods and the fatty dairy products. I still drank my coffee and tea. And had to becareful with gravy and mayonnaise and certain others, like mustard and so on. When I didn't have those I was fine. But when I did, I made sure I was near a washroom. Becareful with your food until you get your gallbladder removed. Take care.

• Posted

Hi, I had horrible shoulderblade  pain for nine months with gallbladder dis function.  I had no stones in my gallbladder. But they did say it looked like I had sludge. I finally got a HIDA scan and it showed that my  gallbladder was not functioning at normal levels.  I had my gallbladder out 10 days ago and I can’t believe it all the pain in my back is completely gone! I wish I would’ve had surgery months ago. I feel sooooo much better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.