Gallbladder problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I had my gallbladder removed almost 3 years ago, it all went fine but I then started with bowel problems ie rushing to the loo after a meal, I have had all the tests camera etc and can't find what is causing it, i never had this problem up until the removal, has anyone else got this problem

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have. Been 10 year's supposedly with Ibs but in the last 3 months it has become unbearable & so I am going to get tested for bile acid malabsorption which is a common problem after gallbladder removal but which is generally misdiagnosed as ibs-discussed.

• Posted

Hi, Lynn, sounds to me as though you might have bile acid malabsorption, an inabiity of the body to chemically convert bile--it's caused by the lack of a hormone. On this site, it's called BAM. The gallbladder also acted as a valve to release bile when necessary.  After gallbladder surgery, bile is constantly dripping into your small intestine, causing diarreha. Doctors in the US typically identify sufferers as having IBS-D.  It can be controlled by medication, cholestyramine, taken orally.

There's lots of info about this under BAM on this site.  Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Lynda do you mind if I ask have you been taking cholestramine and if so have you add any side effects 

Thank you

• Posted

Actually the bile is dripping in to your large intestine but the only true way it can be determined is by a double scan and I am not sure they do it in the states, they do in the UK.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda I'm back at doctors this week, will take this information with me

• Posted

Hi, Craig, yes, it does have some side effects.  You can look up the side effects on line at various sites about drugs and their side effects.
    • Posted

Good, luck, lynn!  Press till you get the answers you need!  Let us know how you get on.  
  • Posted

Hi I had the same problem and my doctor put me on questran lite 4mg and things were going fine until it was increased to 8mg now I have nausea and lost my appetite 
    • Posted

Why did he increase it if everything was OK, just go back to 4mg.
    • Posted

Thought it you improve more but I am going to have a colononoscopy on wednesday and will go back to 4mg and maybe try ox bile supplements I have ordered online as I can't get them from health stores in australia

• Posted

Sorry I mean thought it would improve I mean
    • Posted

Hi, Craig, if you are having BAM that means you probably have excess bile.  That might be the reason that your doctor increased the cholestyramine.  I take mine (4 mg) in 4 ounces of water and 4 ounces of papaya nectar at night, shaken, not stirred smile.  Accordingly, ox bile supplements, which work when the gallbladder doesn't produce sufficient bile, would not be for you...it might make you more sick, so do be careful! Best of luck and let us know how you do!  

• Posted

I sure have. I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago. Before this I never had any problems. Now I go to a restaurant and the first thing I want to do is make sure I know where the bathroom is. Not fun. What has your doctor told you to do for this? I had a doctor that mentioned more fiber seems like it would do the opposite but apparently it must work I haven't really tried it long enough to notice a difference. They say stay away from fatty food or spicy food but sometimes that doesn't even affect me it could be any food could be a piece of toast. This is my first time on this forum, I'll have to read on and see what other people suggest. Thanks for sharing,

• Posted

Hi all, I had a colonoscopy today to rule out anything more sinister and thankfully it came up all clear and now I will commence with the questran lite and change my diet thank you for the feedback 
    • Posted

Hi, Craig, thanks for letting us know.  Hope the medication and diet changes work for you!  Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.