Gallbladder problems abroad!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just looking for some advice/reassurance. I've been diagnosed with gallbladder polyps (and possibly stones - I've had conflicting info from different drs). I'm on the waiting list for surgery and until now my pain has been relatively mild. I'm now on holiday in Denmark and for the last 5 days I've had worsening stabbing/burning pain. It's there all the time although sometimes improves a little for an hour or so. Its mainly under my right rib although the whole of my right side and stomach hurt really. I'm really scared that I could have an infection and that I'm going to keep become really unwell. I'm reluctant to go to a Dr here in Denmark but I don't fly home for another 4 days! I don't think I have a fever and my appetite is not too bad. Does anyone have any advice or experiences of similar pain for this length of time?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah:. Before I had my gallbladder out last Feb of 2017, I had the same pains. There was a couple of times i keeled over in pain. If it acts up try a cool glass of water or a warm cup of tea with a bit ofilj and sugar. Not cream. Try to stay away from the fatty greasey foods and the acidy and spicy foods. And see if it subsides. Take care and keep in touch.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for replying. I guess my main concern is that the pain is worse than I've had before and that it's lasting for so long. Anxiety about being abroad is probably not helping too, as if I was at home I would have tried to get advice from a Dr by now. Thanks for your advice, I'll try to be careful what I eat and hope for the best.

• Posted

Hi Hannah:. If it gets really bad, try asking the dr for some kind of meds to keep it calm. I was on amaprazole( no name losec for mine) when it got really bad until they took out my gallbladder. Good luck and don't worry about the surgery. Its not that bad. Its an easy procedure..take care

• Posted

Remove only if it’s bothering to much and pain is very often 

Otherwise wait until it big issue 

• Posted

Hi, hope your still not in a lot of pain, take strong painkillers and watch what you eat. If you can get a hot water bottle or something that used to help me. As soon as you get back home go to a&e and ask for ultrasound. I had a gallstone stuck in my bile duct and my bilirubin levels were really high if your not careful it can turn to pancreatitis so if you do get a temperature go straight to hospital. I had my gallbladder removed Friday and it I feel so much better, I’m recovering well to considering my op took 2hrs instead of 45mins like they thought it would as my gallbladder was inflamed and I had scarring on my bile duct. I can honestly say having your gallbladder removed is a lot less painful the putting up with the stones if that’s what you have. Take care xx

• Posted

Update: today I've been feeling a little better, the pain has eased and sharp twinges have been less although I'm still getting some. Hopefully I'll be ok for the rest of my trip, I'll feel less stressed once I get home and have easier access to a Dr. I'm certain that stress makes things feel worse. I can't wait to have my surgery, the anxiety the symptoms cause is much worse than any worry about the surgery itself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.