Gallbladder problems plz help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, i had my gallbladder out 8 yrs ago, had been suffering in agony and throwing up, and feeling severely unwell since i was 17, i am now 41, thought after gallbladder removed would be ok, only difference is no agonizing pain, i even got pancreatitis when one of the stones slipped in my pancreas, anyways recently i have developed a swelling under my right rib, dr cant tell if its a swelling or a lump, i hope not a lump, but got to go bk to drs on Tuesdays, hopefully for scans see whats going on, but today i have been getting stabbing pains in my left chest or breast, not sure😰 has anyone else had this, since all this my anxiety is horrendous, i think bout illnesses all the time, think i am dieing half the time, its been a nightmare for years, sometimes speaking to ppl with the same problems helps sometimes, has anybody had this swelling and chest pains plz talk to me n put my mind at ease, oh and heartburn is just ridiculous,......😩😰😨😒😑 thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

am sorry your going through this, i had my gallbladder out 6 months ago i have not develop any new symptoms, but i deal with chest pain,breathing problems, acid reflux n heartburn even more symptoms, am only 26 and i suffer and now i develop health anxiety and bad depression i feel like am gonna die or not wake up am scared but i try to stay positive that these things are gonna go away one day. the my dr is lost too cant find whats wrong with me, these problems discourages me from doing anything, i was diagnosed with IBS after removal and its a nightmare but i try to eat healthy to help lessen some of my symptoms, hows your eating?

• Posted

did you have open surgery for your gallbladder i did in 2017 in the December then i developed a swelling and it turned out to be hernia which i had op to remove it dec 2018 but they did say you can get them anytime

• Posted

sounds as tho your going through a bad time, only you know your body, you must keep on with your surgery have scans done etc,, im getting 3 years now, still not right but a dam site better than i was,in agony had a job to walk, may sound silly,i was getting acid reflux and a sore throat all the time,tried different meds, nothing worked, then i stopped eating chocolate (my favourite) hey presto my throat was a lot better, chocolate can upset the system,apparently,;;keep on with your doc,;;;; some can feel better in days gb removal,some takes years,its not the simple operation some make out to be, ,, wish you well,chin up,

• Posted

Hi Karen, I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and like you I've had nothing but problems ever since unfortunately.

The first symptom I had which was virtually immediately after surgery was that I was still getting pain underneath my right ribs. My surgeon thought I might have sphincter of oddi dysfunction as well but luckily it wasn't that but he did suggest that I get a referral for the Pain clinic before I had another appt. I found I had to see a private consultant because the pain was so bad and couldn't wait for my nhs appt. This was the best thing that I did as he thought I had something called abdominal wall nerve entrapment which is apparently common with surgery like this but unfortunately it isn't very well known among consultants so there isn't loads out there on the internet. He did me a letter that I could take to my pain clinic appt and he tested me and yes it is this. This condition is debilitating, constant and unfortunately its not known how long you'll have it for. I've just had my 4th lot of nerve block, its only in one place on the right hand side and when you know where to press, you'll know straight away, its called Carnetts sign.

Recently however I've been having pain on the left side underneath the ribs and feeling sick, being sick, not being able to eat very much. My gp thought I might have a stomach ulcer but after an endoscopy they saw gastritis, duodenitis caused by biliary reflux which is also a common side effect after gallbladder removal. The doctors put me on ppi's, h2blockers but I became allergic with severe itching but after researching this treatment is mainly for conditions caused by gastric reflux which is easier to treat. Having too much bile in your stomach which shouldn't be there is likely to be a lifelong condition and I'm on sucralfate now which does ease the pain but its early days yet and I'll have to be re-assessed all the time.

However my original private consultant I decided to see again because I wasn't getting anywhere with my gp's and they weren't going to refer me so I did it myself. It was him that suggested the sucralfate but also he checked me again for nerve entrapment and he thinks I might have some on this side now so I'm just waiting for an appt for the pain clinic to check this out.

I can understand how fed up, depressed and anxious anyone can be after going through an operation and hoping everything would be perfect afterwards. Its not easy and I'm luckily I have a supportive husband who doesn't always understand whats happening.

The best thing I did was to see a private consultant, its not as expensive as I thought it would be and you can self refer so you don't need anything from your gp or you can get your gp to refer you. The consultants where I live work in the nhs and privately. The pain clinic is another option which could be an option for you depending on the results of your tests.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.