Gallbladder recovery and dissolvable stitches.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my gallbladder out by keyhole surgery. Not pleasant in pain in recovery room. Had to have a lot of pain drugs kept in overnight. Continual blood pressure taken overnight. I am always high but they were getting me to breath slowly at the end every time. Let me go by 11.30am after drip, I can't remember what it was for. External needle collapsed vein for drip on left hand so Dr came back and put it in right. Concerned now still v painful wounds mainly tummy button one and right hand side.

Want to know when to take of plastic plasters to reveal stitches. I know they should be kept dry after showering. Scared to remove them knowing wounds still to heal. What do I do?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you. Have an appointment with nurse next Monday. The belly button I have taken a peak at because so sore. Think deeper stitches hence tighter there more painful. Certainly after 2 weeks not dissolved yet. Not given enough info on hospital release.

• Posted

That is the trouble jai53,they want you out the door asap baz was sent home 2 hrs after his op,with dressings but not a clue what to do,I called the ward and asked what they were all about,he was projectile vomitting at the time,they said it was the body in shock.At the end of the day we were just happy it had been removed as he had been very ill the 15 months before,even with being admitted with sepsis (bilirubin was in the 300s).Im not a squemish person as had 2 lapro ops myself.

So the info I gave you was what I had called and asked about,but the dissolveable stitches do take awhile to work out completely,I would say about 5 weeks to be totally gone as they dissolve inside the body only and not the bit thats on the outside.

Once his wounds had closed he didnt wear the dressings but as the days went on the stitches worked their way out and where snagging on his t shirt ,so was told to trim the stitch back to skin surface or pull them out gently with tweezers.

But it depends if you have anyone who doesnt mind do that for you.

Hope you feel better soon,and by the way baz scars have cleared up nicely.He also had a pain in his back for about 6 months after his op.

• Posted

Thank you for this. I am seeing a nurse at my own surgery on Monday to look at the stitches. I was concerned two of them quite sore especially tummy one. It felt like it was tight and had a quick peek after last shower as stitches looked tight. My cousin told me to see someone in case they needed clipping. Apparently sometimes the knot causes problems.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your sensible comments. I have just seen the nurse at my surgery. She removed my dressings and stitches clearing up nicely except tummy button a bit tight but still OK. She said 5 weeks to dissolve but wishes they didn't do these stitches because it seems they can get tight and don't dissolve as quick as normal stitches.

See consultant on 1st April should be OK by then.

How is your partner now.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.