gallbladder removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am due to have my gallbladder removed next week and after reading other people's comments am scared of the after effects. I've only had 1 flare up but on ultrasound they found a 2cm stone and several smaller ones. I'm scared of bowel problems following surgery. My bowels are very sensitive to foods already and I'm trying to weigh up whether to put up with the niggly pains I get from the gallstones occasionally or take a risk on needing the toilet all the time. Can anyone help?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea ,

the reality is most people don't get left with diarroeah problems .. Most are fine it's a small percentage and you will notice on here that those who have more problems are those whose gall bladders were infected or who had ended up with jaundice or pancreatitis.... 

Its your call but I have a close friend right now whose got gallstones and is at risk of getting pancreatitis and is desperate to get it removed before all goes wrong....

i had stones without knowing for 15 years with annual colic attacks and a constant gastric problem of excessive acid.. I had gastritus , ulcers, and shares in gaviscon ..since my operation I don't produce enough bile ...I am delighted . No more acid problems ..sound stomach ..yes constipation is my only symptom so all bran each day and a fibro gel and I am fine...

as you have no gallbladder your bile just drips continually from your liver ..but my surgeon said when your gallbladder is full of stones the bile just drips out anyway cos your gallbladder is not working ..but you don't get the agony when a stone gets stuck or your gallbladder contracts to sqeeze bile out and the stones rub together and make your gallbladder inflamed and sore..

and they wouldn't offer to remove it if they didn't think you were at risk ..

they do leave small stones alone .

hope that helps

• Posted

Hi Andrea I had my gallbladder removed 9 weeks ago and I just had 1 large stone and pain. My gallbladder was perfect. Like you I read all the horror stories and also spoke to a lot of people who had no problems at all. My surgeon reassured me it was very uncommon to have any issues afterwards. Unfortunately I am one of the unlucky ones and have had a terrible time since it was removed. Diarrhea vomiting and nausea. Unfortunately some people have problems afterwards But most people don't. Also my surgeon thinks it will all settle down in time so I am hoping it will and from what I've read most people settle down within the year or sooner. I don't know why some people have issues and most people don't. It seems to be down to luck! The only thing is that you will eventually have to have the gallbladder removed if the pain keeps persisting and it may cause your gallbladder to become inflamed if it's not inflamed already. Also the worst thing to do is to read all the horror stories out there! Good luck with your decision. X
  • Posted

These pains your having are small now but they will get worst and everyone's body handles food differently you may not have any issues at all and then you may have every issue that comes with gallbladder surgery but I've had the surgery two weeks ago and the adjustment is kind of difficult but I'm adjusting don't be afraid I would rather have the surgery rather than have episodes for the remainderI'm sure you will find a sign of relief once you have had the survey but don't let everyone else's horror storey put feat into you bcuz your body is totally different from everyone else's just watch your diet afterwards and you will be fine I'm sure if it God bless and keep us up to date with your surgery and let us know how you doing I will keep you in my prayers god had the last word😉
    • Posted

Hi Fergus hope you feel better soon and the adjustment period isn't too long for you. If your having diarrhea try caltrate 600 d. They are a calcium supplement with vitamin d. I take two a day and thank god it's stopped the diarrhea. Also probiotics can help. Please God we will all recover soon. God bless. X
    • Posted

Thank you for the vitamin tip really appreciate that also gonna use it I don't have diarrhea all the time but I'm sure I will find this useful Thank you so much Ace this is a great blessing God bless each and everyone of us and please God heal us and see us threw our surgery ' s " if you gonna pray don't worry if you gonna worry don't pray" you can't send god mixed signals he already knows lol every morning is a beautiful day when the Lord allows you to wake up with breath in your body pain or no, diarrhea or no, appetite or no he can fix all things.
  • Posted

These pains your having are small now but they will get worst and everyone's body handles food differently you may not have any issues at all and then you may have every issue that comes with gallbladder surgery but I've had the surgery two weeks ago and the adjustment is kind of difficult but I'm adjusting don't be afraid I would rather have the surgery rather than have episodes for the remainderI'm sure you will find a sign of relief once you have had the survey but don't let everyone else's horror storey put feat into you bcuz your body is totally different from everyone else's just watch your diet afterwards and you will be fine I'm sure if it God bless and keep us up to date with your surgery and let us know how you doing I will keep you in my prayers god had the last word😉
  • Posted

I am waiting to have my gallbladder removed. Several people I have spoken to who have had this done all say how much better they feel afterwards.

Pluck up your courage and go for it.

Hope it all goes OK.

Sarah

• Posted

It is true Sarah 

i feel almost angry I suffered for so long undiagnosed...once removed you feel well ..food is not an issue ..energy returns and aches and pains go ..and I am 50 and peri menopausal..but I still feel so so much better ..

• Posted

it only took one attack for me and in 2 weeks I had surgery.Some people do have more diarrhea afterwards, but we are all different. get that gb out and go from there. I have had IBS for years, so I expected more diarrhea, but I watch what I eat, etc... Good luck and keep us posted!!
    • Posted

How on earth did you manage to get done within 2 weeks? I am on a 6 - 8 month waiting list and have had several attacks so far.

I was only diagnosed with gallstones at Christms so have a long wait yet

• Posted

Hi. I had mine out 8 weeks ago and so far everything is great. No side-effects at all. If you have other issues along with the gallbladder then perhaps you can get treatment for that and see how that helps your current problems. I'm so glad I got mine out.
  • Posted

Hi I had to have my GB out because just after I had my 1 baby the pain of gallstones was so excruciating and the waiting list a bit too long I ended up with pancreatitis a visit to the AE and an emergency surgery. Afterwards I've never been the same. I had diarrhoea for a while but that has settled and I think in majority of people it does. If you don't have any bile salt malabsorption, your body will adapt to the absence of a GB. I was really concerned with the intestine cramps and lots of 'd' but be patient and eat very plain in the first 6 to 8 weeks and it will almost certainly improve.

But unfortunately I seem to be part of the small list o people who get other/new problems after this type of surgery. Just after my surgery( 4 months ago) I've been experiencing heartburn ,chest pain and now also back pain. and they haven't found out yet what's wrong with me but I know that it was caused by the surgery. All surgeries have risks and I know now but I didn't had a choice. I wouldn't be here now to see my baby growing. Do it if you have to, but think positive that you might be just fine All the best of luck xx

• Posted

Thanks everyone for all your comments and taking the time to reply. Did anyone else suffer from chest pain or indigestion caused by their gallstones/gallbladder. I've been putting these pains down to my hiatus hernia but am now wondering if these pains are a symptom of the gallbladder problem?

• Posted

It could be d hernia cuz I have had d same symptoms and just found out dat I have a hernia and have had it for years but it started to bother me when the gallbladder went up so now I hafta have surgery again for the hernia in a few weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.