Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I’m having surgery getting my gallbladder removed this will be my first time put under I’m super nervous I have really bad anxiety and I’m not sure how to deal with it. I have 4 days before my surgery. I spoke to the surgeon about my anxiety but he recommends  not giving me anything since he doesn’t want it to interfere with the anesthesia. Can anyone please tell me how long it is to get put to sleep how long ya surgery how long till you wake up? Please and thank you 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just been diagnosed I am 65 never had surgery been bipolar since 17 but very well controlled now and on hardly any med. Still a bit anxious as don't know how long I will have to wait for surgery after consultation. Although consultant said not long waiting list. I can feel for you but do know the more you read and talk to people who know about this the better you will be.

• Posted

Are you getting surgery for your gallbladder removal? 
    • Posted

Yes a laparoscopy assumed you getting the same?
    • Posted

Yes! 

The surgeon said it takes 30minutes- an 1hour then off to recovery. 

• Posted

I was worried too, but it was easier than I thought. I was wheeled into the operating room, they already had an IV in place. They told me they were starting the anesthesia and that was it, I was sound asleep within seconds.

No worries at all.

And like previous posters said, the operation is quick so you won't be asleep very long.

• Posted

I know once I get there I’m going to be nervous and shaking and idk how to control that 
    • Posted

It's okay to be nervous, all of us were and we all turned out to be okay...so will you.

It's a very short time and they will look after you and make sure you're okay, I promise.

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed in January of this year. I was extremely nervous & anxious because I've never been put to sleep, so that bothered me a lot. But, I had a great surgeon & medical staff and they talked with me right to the point of being put to sleep. When I awoke, I was in recovery. It was just that easy for me. So try not to worry, and I wish you a great recovery! : )

• Posted

I was nervous too I think most people are.

What made me get in the door the day of surgery was having a conversation with myself remembering I had a choice go in get it done or live with all the restrictive symptoms and the pain along with the risk of the gallbladder rupturing. Easy choice for me smile

My op lasted 45 mins in and out of the hospital in 4ish hours. Bit of gas discomfort for 24 hours that's all.

Best wishes

• Posted

Yeah, that's what made me make my final decision. I was in constant pain, and just didn't feel good. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

• Posted

Hello everyone just an update on my surgery I had it today at 8am surgery was super fast took the surgeon 25 minutes and recovery was a bit longer took me about an hour to wake up. Overall everything went well at home now just taking it easy and resting. I do have pain when sitting and getting up also have a sore throat I have pain meds but I'm trying my best not to take them unless I really have too. I want to thank everyone for there stories it was really helpful. Much live truly appreciate it ??

• Posted

Very glad it went so well. Hope your pain goes away soon. You have been a good help to me too. I just have to wait and see how long consultants list is for a date. Did you have to wait long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.