Gallbladder removal and difficulty to pee

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I Just had my gallbladder removed today and it went fine, except that they had to put a catheter on me and send me home with it until Monday, because I could not pee. They said it was due to the anesthesia, did this happened to anyone here? How long did it last ? I am worried that this will be a long term thing. Also what did you guys do to help You get the gas out? Can I take gas-x? I feel like I have heartburn, what could I do ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm waiting for surgery for my gallbladder but I've had other surgery and I've had the same problem and needed to have a catheter. Anesthetics do seem to do that to me. Hope that helps x
  • Posted

I didn't have the difficulty in urinating after my surgery (keyhole removal in June), but the gas pain was unbearable. I did a LOT of walking around and I took gas-x to help relieve the pain. It still took about a week for it to dissipate.
    • Posted

I am in a lot of pain and the medicine does not take all the pain away. It even hurts to talk loud, this is crazy
    • Posted

The painkillers barey helped me. I ended up taking a muscle relaxer which knocked me out and let me sleep for a bit without pain.

I would definitely do a lot of walking. I know it may be rough, but it will help. It will work its way out in time. The first few days were agony for me.

• Posted

did the muscle relaxer help you with that kind of pain ??? Which one was it?
    • Posted

I had some flexeril from when I had horrible back spasms.

I took one and I somehow misplaced 6 hours of my day. It helped me sleep, but as soon as it wore off, the pain was back.

I still get pain and cramps from where my gallbladder was to this day. Not as severe as post surgery, but more bothersome than anything.

• Posted

Cold packs helped me more than anything for a more immediate relief. I also added hot water and vinegar, several times per day, as well as a digestive enzyme. I think they all helped.

The gasx seemed to do little for me.  Coca cola helped. 

• Posted

I have always had this problem with surgery. In both case I took a medication used for men who have enlarged prostate and it really helped me.  Also, sitting in hot water was effective. 

Regarding the pain.  After the first week, I was better, but still had pain which lasted in one form or another for 8 weeks.  Hang in there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.