Gallbladder removal, are the benefits worth the possible risks?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

After 8 excruciating gallbladder attacks in the last 5 months, I've finally had an ultrasound to confirm gallstones and I've been referred for surgery, however I'm not sure if I want to go through with it.

I understand there can be problems with ongoing diarrhoea afterwards, something which I already have to deal with thanks to IBS & anxiety so I don't want to exacerbate that.

I also understand that you can still have issues eating fatty food and you have to stick to a low fat diet afterwards - is this true? What happens if you eat something fatty after gallbladder removal?

Finally I know that around 10% of people develop postcholecystectomy syndrome which causes pain (similar to that of biliary colic) and vomiting. This is not something I want to risk.

So I'm torn between leaving my gallbladder in and just eating low fat forever, but constantly live in fear of eating anything fatty and having another attack, or having the surgery and possibly ending up in a worse off situation by not being able to eat normally anyway, still have pain, and have digestive issues.

In the short term, I'm managing OK with a low fat diet and I'm losing weight (which is good because I'm overweight anyway) but I don't want to live like this in the long term.

I guess I'm just asking for opinions or advice.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i had my gallbladder out in September due to pancreatitis. Have to say I haven't had any issues, slight diarrhoea initially along with acid reflux but that settled down after a month. Haven't noticed any other side effects. Good luck

• Posted

I had mine out in December.

BEST DECISION EVER!

I had constipation for 2 days and diarrhoea for 3 days. Was back in work after 2 weeks off.

After 1 week, I was eating whatever I wanted. After months of being scared to eat, it is so nice not to worry.

Over Christmas I ate Chinese take aways, fish and chips, chocolate, crisps. Everything!

Like you, my attacks were frequent, I was getting them after eating anything, even salads.

I would definitely recommend getting it removed.

p.s I have IBS also so understand your concerns, but it didn't make a difference to me

• Posted

It seems to me that everyone is different, so it's impossible to know whether or not you will be one of the majority who make a good recovery and lead a normal life, or one of the 10% who do develop problems. People who use these forums seem to fall into 2 categories: those who need support initially until they recover, when they stop posting; those who do have ongoing problems who continue to post. So the forum is biased towards problems.

I know 3 people who have all had the surgery. One had the keyhole operation, came home the same day, had pain and the runs for a week, started driving the 2nd week, was back to work by week 3 and can eat what she likes, pain free. She also has other medical problems. Number two had the open operation, came home on day 4, had reducing pain for a couple of weeks, and felt fully fit after 6 weeks. She never had bowel problems and has had no after effects at all. Recovery from the open operation always takes longer.

My cousin had the keyhole surgery but there were complications and she was kept in for 12 days. Recovery has been slow as she had bowel and eating problems for a month and lost a lot of weight. However it has now been 7 weeks and she is just about back to normal, although still lacks stamina and has to be careful. Whether she will develop other problems it's too soon to say. So 3 people and 3 totally different experiences.

Personally, if I'd had 8 attacks in 5 months, with the prospect of further and worsening attacks, I would seriously consider the surgery. You are warned that if there is a blockage, it can be potentially fatal. My cousin ignored her attacks and almost died during her last attack. For her the operation was essential, and she wonders if her complications were the result of ignoring the damage done by earlier attacks. We are not medical people so don't know. Whatever you decide, best wishes.

• Posted

I went to a surgeon yesterday and despite most of my tests all being in normal range the Dr and I decide we think it might be best to try taking it out. I did show some GB wall thickening. I have been having what seems to be brutal GB style attacks on and off since 2011 and was back in the ER for it again 2 weeks ago. They said since 2011 I had IBS-D hmm maybe.. Or maybe whole time gallbladder issues??? I also have Gastroparesis. So the thing is I'm def scared cause it 50/50 I guess I have no idea if it will help, be the same, or make things worse. I'm scared but praying for the best I guess. I am miserable.

• Posted

hi, i thought id throw my opinion into the mix as some are luckier than others,

around 14 months ago i had repeated gb attacks from hell that eventually ended me up in a+e . morphine was all i could have to dull the pain,

after a scan i was informed i have a few "small" gallstones and to decide if the best approach was removal or wait and see.,

i did some research on the forums and read lots of horror stories and not many positive . this scared me to death and totally made me decide against the surgery, a decision that nearly cost me my life

i developed jaundice when a stone got stuck and then bilary sepsis afterwards . the drugs that i had to have while in a coma have caused permanent kidney damage as well as permanent vistibular disorder where my balance is not 100% , although i survived this has had a major impact on my quality of life and could of been avoided if i hadnt read so many horror stories . if they say u need it, then do it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.